Straining when using things like seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard1983

Reaction score
I've been looking around and reading people say you do or don't have to strain your wort, doesnt make much difference. But these posts all referred to whether it was ok to leave the hop pellets. I will be brewing with corriander seeds and bitter orange peel, and was wondering the effects of leaving this in the wort during fermentation.

I am not doing a secondary fermentation. My racking cane does have a thing on the bottom of it that prevents it from picking up much of the nasty stuff left at the bottom of the fermenting bucket. I have done one brew before that didnt work out, but the transfer from fermenting bucket to bottling bucket properly left most of the sediment behind, so I wasnt sure if it was ok to just leave the stuff and rely on this to not move the seeds and peel to the bottling bucket.

Thanks,

Jim

I can't help you with the stuff in your primary, but I can say it's really easy to add a strainer before your funnel before your carboy.

I have done one brew before that didnt work out

Do you mean this is your second brew ever and the first one didn't work out? If so, I wouldn't go messing around adding seeds and orange peel until you get a successful beer under your belt with a simple recipe. But otherwise yea, strain the wort on its way into the carboy.

Do you mean this is your second brew ever and the first one didn't work out? If so, I wouldn't go messing around adding seeds and orange peel until you get a successful beer under your belt with a simple recipe. But otherwise yea, strain the wort on its way into the carboy.

My first brew failed, but it was also from a recipe that some guy at a brewstore just wrote down.....for this I bought a kit, so was hoping it would work out better.

THe first brew tasted very bitter and didnt realyl carbonate in the bottle, but i'm hoping for some success using a kit rather than jsut a recipe that some guy wrote down.

My first brew failed, but it was also from a recipe that some guy at a brewstore just wrote down.....for this I bought a kit, so was hoping it would work out better.

THe first brew tasted very bitter and didnt realyl carbonate in the bottle, but i'm hoping for some success using a kit rather than jsut a recipe that some guy wrote down.

Hmm well I wouldn't call it being very bitter and not well carbonated "failing". It could just be more bitter than you like it, but someone else would like it. As for the carbonation, you may have opened the bottles too early. That's a whole other topic though..

Looking ahead, you already bought the kit so concentrate on making this one killer. Strain out the seeds and don't touch the bottles for at least 21 days, it'll be worth the wait :mug:

yeah, i have bottles that have been sitting for about 5 months now, still not carbonated....definately hoping for better result now

yeah, i have bottles that have been sitting for about 5 months now, still not carbonated....definately hoping for better result now

Ok you've proven your patience lol. Best of luck to you on this one, I'm rooting for you.

thats weird that it never carbed...i have yet to have any problem with anything taking over 2 weeks to carb (conditioning of course is a whole different story). knock on wood...;)

Back