Strain Differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcott

Reaction score
What exactly is it that makes each strain of yeast different? :confused:

I'm assuming they're the same Genus and Species, so under a microscope, they likely look the same, but having made various starters with different strains (and obviously various batches), they definitely look different in large groups, and clearly, they all behave differently (or why bother using them, right?)

I enjoy the science side of things, but I'm definitely not the smartest guy on the block when it comes to this. Any insight would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers!

Also, to clarify, I understand the functional differences (i.e. what attenuation, flocculation, profile, etc are.)

I'm more curious about the microbiological differences. (So maybe this belongs in the science forum, not the yeast forum).

I'm no microbiologist but it's genes. What makes a miniature poodle different from a Saint Bernard? They both have the same DNA but a few different genes are active on one but not the other. Yeast would be the same thing I'm guessing.

Back