straight to carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupwalker

Reaction score
been using the plastic bucket than carboy when brewing, what would happen if after cooling down we put the beer straight into the carboy?:confused:

What size carboy and what size batch? Don't put a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy for primary unless you want to clean up a big yeasty mess.

pretty sure it is a 6 gal, anything else to concider doing this way? I did read best not to bottle from a carboy, rather best to use our bottling bucket... normally have been doing 4-5 days in bucket W/lid and airlock, than 2 weeks in the carboy...

Works great as long as you have the headspace for the krausen. I always use a 6 gallon PET carboy for 5-5 1/2 gallon batches and with strict temp control it doesn't blow off. I don't secondary my beers and I like being able to see what's going on inside without removing an airlock or lifting a lid and risking infection.
The less you transfer and check on your beer the less chance of infection and oxidation. So primary in a carboy and then if you're curious you can look at it without disturbing it, skip the secondary, and rack directly to a keg or bottling bucket when the beer is ready.

If you have enough head space in your carboy then there's no problem going straight to your carboy. I don't even own a ferm bucket and have absolutely no plans to ever get one.

Latest posts

Back