Stove vs Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I am debating using my stove for ease of boiling. I tested how well my stovetop works today on a new aluminum pot, and it took less than a half hour to get 6.5 gallons up to a decent roll.

Here's my question, does it make sense to boil the wort on the stove top, even though I have the propane burner? I have a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot, and I'm wondering if I'm playing with fire to try to do the all grain on the stove top. My biggest concern is not getting the wort up to temp. It's trying to make sure I don't boil over.

I am tempted to do it on the stove. Any thoughts on this?

For me, the propane burner out in my garage makes it easier to clean up boil overs (hose + push broom, though those are fairly rare these days with fermencap), easier to work around since the pot sits at knee level instead of chest level, easier to use my IC since I have a spigot nearby and if a connection leaks also not a big deal since it's in the garage, and my wife doesn't get angry about the smell (which I like, but it does linger a bit).

Also my stove is electric, so I find I can get a more reliable boil on the propane burner.

That's just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with doing it on your stove, I personally just find it a lot easier over the burner in my garage.

I heat all my mash/sparge water on the stove, but do the boil outside with propane. As Nova said, a boilover on the stove is not fun to clean up.

I use the propane burner b/c in my case it's much faster than using my stove top and since I often brew 10 gallon batches, it's impossible to boil 12 gallons on my stove.

I was a stove guy for a while and just switched to Propane. I always thought "I will never get a boil-over--I watch the wort way too closely." Yeah, well, I got my boil over and I went out to buy a propane burner 4 hours later. lol :D

My wife still shoots me nasty looks when I say I'm going to brew. It took 45 minutes of cleaning!

I've wondered about this myself. I used to do 4-4.5gal boils on my stove in a SS pot, then got the turkey fryer with a 7.5gal aluminum pot and now do 6-6.5 gal boils in it. I have been throwing around the idea of trying the full boil on my gas stove with the aluminum pot (since I believe aluminum conducts heat better than SS) and see if I can get a strong enough boil with 6gals. I am a little worried about a boil over on the stove, as that would be an epic mess, but it might be worth it now that the weather is getting colder and it would make it easier to watch my 10 month old while brewing. Fermcap is your friend. :)

Experimentation -- one of my favorite things about homebrewing.

I was a stove guy for a while and just switched to Propane. I always thought "I will never get a boil-over--I watch the wort way too closely." Yeah, well, I got my boil over and I went out to buy a propane burner 4 hours later. lol :D

My wife still shoots me nasty looks when I say I'm going to brew. It took 45 minutes of cleaning!

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. It probably would work 90% of the time without a boilover mess. However, the one time I did, I would regret it. I was also trying to make sure I had enough propane. I'm pretty sure I do, but this this a 90 minute boil. If I run out of propane, well, I guess the choice would be made for me to use the stove to finish it.

Thanks everyone

I currently use my stove for AG full boils but it is reaking havoc on the finish. It also creates a lot of steam and condensation in my house. I'm going to get an outdoor setup soon before my wife kills me.

I am tempted to do it on the stove. Any thoughts on this?
Got two turkey fryers, but my last outside boil was in March of 2009. That's about 45 batches ago. On brew day I take over the kitchen. For me it's all about convenience. Lots of counter space, sink, basically everything I want is right there. Boil on stove, throw IC in, drain brewpot right from the stovetop into fermenter. Run all the post boil stuff through the dishwasher on antibacterial setting and grab it as I need it. Air in the summer, heat in the winter.

Kitchen brewing makes me feel more like a gourmet chef. :cross:

. . . and I have a very tolerant wife.

I heat all my mash/sparge water on the stove, but do the boil outside with propane. As Nova said, a boilover on the stove is not fun to clean up.

I like this method when it's cold outside, I mash in a cooler and find the temperature is more consistent indoors as well.

On the boil, boil overs are a concern as mentioned. Cleaning scorched wort is such a PITA, as is moving 6 gallons of boiling hot liquid to a wort chiller. I find my boil off rate is improved outside on the propane.

It's currently -20*F outside and I have a 50" TV inside and NFL is on tomorrow. No contest.

But I have a good Gas Range.
I got a couple of Boilermakers and now have a direct fire Mash tun on the stove.

If you have gas, a good hood for condensation extraction and keep an eye on the boil overs it shouldn't be a problem.

Rudeboy

Back