Stouts, vatting, and souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetnighter

Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a recipe for a classic Guinness-esque domestic stout. I've read up about "vatting," whereby you make a batch of strong stout to ferment with a brettanomyces or lactobacillus for a couples months, which is then later mixed in with a fresher batch of weaker strength stout. Has anybody done this? and how on earth would I calculate ABV if I'm blending the byproducts of two fermentations with two OGs and FGs? "Designing great beers" refers to the process but doesn't go into further depth. Any insight?

I did the clone in BYO 150 a few years back. It involved brewing an "extract" stout base. I say extract because it was basically a thick syrupy black liquid. Then, after I pitched my yeast into my pale beer, I siphoned off a little bit into a 22oz. bottle and added a little brett to it. I let this ferment out for a few weeks, then brought the mixure to 160 degrees. I combined the pale beer, the coloring "extract", and the sour beer in one.

It didn't taste exactly like guiness, but it came pretty darn close.

To calculate the alcohol you'd just do a weighted average. For example 4 gallons of 3% beer and 1 gallon of 6% beer it would be (4*.03+1*.06)/(4+1)= 3.6%

Blending can certainly give you some complexity, make 5 gallons of the big funky version and have some for drinking and some for blending.

Back