Stout with saison yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mqduva

Reaction score
Just brewed up an imperial stout and pitched belle saison yeast because it was all I had on hand. Anyone ever tried this combination? 19 lb grain bill

The combination of Belgian spicy, peppery esthers with roasted, bitter malts might be tough on a lot of palletes. But let us know how it turns out.

I've had a dark stout-like beer that was fermented with a Belgian-like strain (not sure on yeast or recipe details). I wasn't really a fan, to be honest. It was OK as an interesting excursion, but not something of which I'd relish having 5 gallons to burn through.

Fermentation temp? Are you going high like a lot of Saisons? If it'll be interesting, if not maybe more palatable....,

Allagash makes a Belgian stout (Belgian yeast strain anyway) Flavor worked out very, very nice.

I did a Stout w/ 3711 and it was good maybe more on the just interesting side. the funk and orange contrasted w/ the roast and Chocolate malts. Drank all of it and enjoyed, but was not a must brew again response. You can easily over attenuate with a saison strain.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Fermentation is at 64 degrees, not gonna raise the temp at all. Was very active after 8-12 hours. We will see what happens. How bad could it be?

i did a one gallon batch like this last year, it was good but there was a lot going on like people say might happen. Some of my friends loved it but I preferred a standard stout.

Back