Stout Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6thGoal

Stephen
Reaction score
You can see some of the details at https://contributingfactorbrewing.com/?page_id=99. This was a More Beer kit of their Bearded Stout that I screwed up but still came out as the best batch of beer I’ve brewed. The in negative I’ve heard, the mouthfeel is thin. Maybe if I followed the directions properly the mouthfeel would have been better.

Question is, do I brew again and follow the directions or add something to increase mouthfeel?

I didn’t see the mash temp in your write up online. I would target a higher mash temp before anything else to get the stout mouthfeel.

I mash my stouts a bit low 148°-152° and add oatmeal for mouthfeel. I’ve been happy with the results but then again I’m not a fan of overly thick cloying stouts

I mash my stout at 154 F. Mouthfeel can also achieved by certain grain as Abrayton mentioned . I put mine on nitro because I love the nice creamy mouthfeel .

i leave my stouts in bottles for 4 to 6 months to improve mouthfeel and smooth out the harshest flavors. Both of those improve with more time but it is hard to wait to crack open that first bottle.

A higher mash temp will give you a higher FG which will contribute to body. Lighter carbonation will also help with the perception of body. I'm in the camp that oats contribute mouthfeel as well, but there are dissenters.

I mash my stout at 154 F. Mouthfeel can also achieved by certain grain as Abrayton mentioned . I put mine on nitro because I love the nice creamy mouthfeel .
man, I love a good stout on nitro...Mmmmmmmmm

I was easily 10 degrees off on the mash, first time I brewed all grain and I failed to warm up the mash tun, so it dropped pretty rapidly. Even though there were mistakes, this stout came out great.

dmtaylor, I was considering some rye as well, might give it a go with just the mash temperature being spot on then where it ended up. Being a kit, the mash was supposed to be 152 degrees per the instructions.

Appreciate the information. Thank you all!

The temp drop is part of learning your equipment for all grain. I don’t warm up my mash tun but I do know how much it will drop the temp and I add that to my strike water temp so that my final mash temp is where I want it.

Yeah, live and learn. Sure it won't be the only mistake as I move from extract to all grain, but the flavor was absolutely amazing. So glad I took the plunge and bought the tun.

Back