Stout hop mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
Not quite a mistake, I am away from home for an 8 week internship and I thought it would be a good time to get a stout brewed and bottled while I'm here to enjoy throughout the next semester. Anyways I thought I brought all my ingredients but I accidentally forgot my E.K. Goldings and only brought Hallertau....... So I used them, 1oz at 60 min.... any opinions or thoughts on if this will be a mistake...

Origianally it was a stout kit with only 6lbs lme and 1lb roasted barley and 2 oz E.K. Goldings

I switched it up a little and made it a partial with 2lbs two-row, .5lobs flaked barley, and 1lbs roasted barley with the 6lbs lme and 1oz hallertau.......

The hallertauer hops have an AA of about 3.5-4.7. The EKG hops are about twice that, so basically you used about 1/4 of the hops required. Your stout will be very malty. Might not be so bad, but you might try looking up how to make hop extract and add it to your primary.

Not quite a mistake, I am away from home for an 8 week internship and I thought it would be a good time to get a stout brewed and bottled while I'm here to enjoy throughout the next semester. Anyways I thought I brought all my ingredients but I accidentally forgot my E.K. Goldings and only brought Hallertau....... So I used them, 1oz at 60 min.... any opinions or thoughts on if this will be a mistake...

Origianally it was a stout kit with only 6lbs lme and 1lb roasted barley and 2 oz E.K. Goldings

I switched it up a little and made it a partial with 2lbs two-row, .5lobs flaked barley, and 1lbs roasted barley with the 6lbs lme and 1oz hallertau.......
I wouldnt worry about it you should be fine, it will just taste different.

You'll be ok, the beer will be slightly out of balance but should not be too bad.

EKG at my shop have been running 5%. If that were the case you would have about 60-70% of the bitterness you wanted. What was og, around 1.052-1.054?

If this happens again you could also boil a little longer to get better hop utilization.

I wouldn't dry hop it as that won't actually increase bitterness and make the stout smell like hops which I don't think it should. You can, it won't hurt anything, but it also won't smell like a stout.

EKG at my shop have been running 5%. If that were the case you would have about 60-70% of the bitterness you wanted. What was og, around 1.052-1.054?
That is amaizing, mine have been running at about 7.6.

I might have misunderstood, did your recipe call for 2oz of EGK and you provided 1oz of halertau for bittering?

I'll just leave it alone, worst thing that happens is it's not as bitter as it should be isn't too bad. I've had a lot bigger mistakes and it's turned out just fine.

Oh my bad on that two the whole things been wrong lol. The kit came with 2oz of Nugget, I bought 1oz of E.K. Goldings because that was what most the Irish stout recipes I read called for, and I forgot the Nugget and the E.K. so I used 1oz of Hallertau. Sorry for the mistake on that, long hours of work..

Back