Stout fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev0151

Reaction score
I started a Coopers Stout 11 days ago. The room temp is always pretty steady at 22Oc and its still giving off Co2 gasses because im still getting bubbles through the airlock. The instructions that come with the kit say it takes approx 7 days.

When i checked the Gravity i'm here on the Hydromiter ..

14xGc.jpg

Is it time to bottle? Is it normal for it still to be giving off gasses?

How long can you leave it fermenting before it goes off?

Is the old saying the longer you leave it the better true?

Cheers folks!

Yes, the longer you leave it, the better it will get in most cases. IPA's and wheats don't apply. I usually let all of my beers sit in primary for 3-4 weeks before I even check my gravity. It's usually done after a week, but that doesn't mean the yeast doesn't have more work to do. After fermentation, the yeast will begin to clean up any off flavors they've created.

Don't pay attention to bubbles, they're misleading. Gravity measurements are the only thing that will tell you whether it's truly done or not. I'd let it sit for about 2 more weeks and then check again. If it's still at 1.010, then it's good and you can bottle.

Another tip...never listen to the instructions that come with a kit unless it's from a reputable source like AHS, Northern Brewer, etc.

Wait a few days then check the gravity again then wait a few more days then check again. If your readings are consistent and you reached the FG the kit suggests you should be good to go. Honestly though you should wait a few more weeks at least before you bottle. The yeast are still cleaning up and your beer will be better.

Back