Stout - bottle or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronstar55

Reaction score
I have a stout in the fermenter and a kegerator coming in a few days. I dont want to get a new faucet and nitrogen, etc just for this stout. Should I keg the stout using CO2 and standard faucets, or bottle it?

I have a stout in the fermenter and a kegerator coming in a few days. I dont want to get a new faucet and nitrogen, etc just for this stout. Should I keg the stout using CO2 and standard faucets, or bottle it?

Keg it. I think nitrogen is only good for Guinness. I got a chance to do side-by-sides with Rogue's Shakespeare stout on nitro and regular co2. The nitro muted everything and was really boring. The mouthfeel was good, but that was it. Everything came alive in the co2 version.

I am not sure why bottling it would solve anything that kegging wouldn't. I'd leave it in the fermentor until I had the setup ready to go, if I were you.

Thanks! - I'll keep it in the fermenter until I get everything ready - hopefully next weekend

Keg it. I think nitrogen is only good for Guinness. I got a chance to do side-by-sides with Rogue's Shakespeare stout on nitro and regular co2. The nitro muted everything and was really boring. The mouthfeel was good, but that was it. Everything came alive in the co2 version.

I am not sure why bottling it would solve anything that kegging wouldn't. I'd leave it in the fermentor until I had the setup ready to go, if I were you.

Bottling solves the aging problem. I usually bottle my stouts since I don't drink my stouts as quickly as I do an IPA or pale ale, and I usually like to age my stouts a bit which is hard to do when it's on tap. Though if you drink your stouts quickly, it probably doesn't make a difference either way.

Oh, and you don't need special taps and nitrogen for a stout. The nitrogen will just give it a creamier head, but it isn't necessary. I've kegged a stout before and just used the regular tap and CO2 for serving and it was still tasty.

Latest posts

Back