"Stout" bochet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's my crazy scheme:

For a 6.5 L batch:

500g wildflower honey
300g honey, toasted to medium brown
300g honey, toasted to quite dark

Targeting an OG about 1.045.

Boil in the water:
8g Progress @ 30 min
10g Styrian Golding @ 15 min

Nutrients per TOSNA for English Ale Yeast (WLP002 or similar).

Add in primary:
150g coffee
~ 15ml Fenugreek (for survivable maple flavor)
~ 15ml Vanilla

Thoughts?

There's no advantage from adding the coffee, Fenugreek and Vanilla to the primary fermentation. You'll get more flavor and aroma if you add flavor items at packaging.
-make a coldbrew concentrate with your coffee (search google for how to make it)
-use vodka to make a tincture with the Fenugreek
perform bench trials using the above and your vanilla to dial in the flavor you are looking for when fermentation is done and the mead has aged at least 6 weeks.
I've head of using chicory to provide a roasty character, but I've never tried it. Likely it would be best to make a coldbrew and see what flavors you are getting.

There's no advantage from adding the coffee, Fenugreek and Vanilla to the primary fermentation. You'll get more flavor and aroma if you add flavor items at packaging.
-make a coldbrew concentrate with your coffee (search google for how to make it)
-use vodka to make a tincture with the Fenugreek
perform bench trials using the above and your vanilla to dial in the flavor you are looking for when fermentation is done and the mead has aged at least 6 weeks.
I've head of using chicory to provide a roasty character, but I've never tried it. Likely it would be best to make a coldbrew and see what flavors you are getting.

I've been resistant to the tincture route for some (mysterious probably irrational) reason, but pretty much the entire collective wisdom of the internet says that's the way to do it. So I guess I should admit that's the best way to add the spices/flavoring.

Any thoughts on the ratio of raw to medium to dark honey? I want to drive some caramel/roast there, too, but not burnt.

Back