Storing yeast in jars - best practice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I like to store my yeast in pint-sized mason jars. I usually brew with vigorous top-croppers, and find pint jars work well for storing enough yeast to direct pitch next brew day. I always harvest, let the yeast settle, then top up top the brim with cooled, boiled distilled water.

I used a new yeast strain last weekend (WY 3711), made an over-sized starter and stored about 70 ml of it (finger width) in a pint jar under a half pint of the spent starter wort. The jar is half filled basically.

I've never done this before and I'm wondering if I should fill the jar to the top as per usual. Are there any risks to storing yeast in half filled jars for extended periods?

Less air the better IMO. I always fill jars with yeast slurry / beer. Pour off the beer prior to pitching. A half full jar is like a half full fermenter...

Makes sense... though my primary is only half full at the moment as well.

I think I'll decant the spent wort and fill up with water tonight. thanks

I store my starter 'savings' in half pint mason jars. I usually leave it under the wort for several months, then decant and top-up with store bought distilled water (no boil) I have had several start up fine after over 2 years now. I never meant to leave thm that long, life just happened. 3711 was one of them.

Back