Storing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeary76

Reaction score
Going to do my first 10gal batch this weekend but fermentation fridge only has enough space for one bucket/carboy. Would it be ok to put 1 carboy in my keezer at 35degrees for 2 weeks since I have 2 cornys in there that are tapped now?

I think you would have better odds putting in dark closet at room temp...mid to low 70's in the house. I fermented that way for a long time before getting temp control.

Fill some growlers to keep in the kitchen refrigerator then remove the kegs from keezer to use for fermenting.

Swamp cooler may also work if you don't want to give up the tap beer for a week.

Stick the 2nd bucket in a cooler (or tote) filled with water to just below where the bucket/carboy wants to start to float. Add 2-4 frozen water bottles to that cooler once or twice a day to keep it at 65F, or whatever fermentation temp you choose. Keeping the whole cooler in a cool room/area helps. Drape a thick blanket or sleeping bag over it, to insulate it from the warmer ambient air. The water jacket is a great heat sink, keeping temps fairly even.

I have a small bathroom on my lower level that's pretty much 65-70F throughout the year. It's now my fermentation room.

I may try the growler route an move the kegs to the fermentation fridge. Use the keezer to ferment both carboys. Thanks for the help.

If you pitch your yeast first, and put it in your keezer for 2 weeks at 35F that should be ok.

Yeast, even the finely selected brewing yeast, has a wider temperature range than we think. It won't brew correctly outside the brewing range, but it will live (like all of us living in our 65F to 75F climate controlled buildings, but we can function in 95F or in 35F)

At 35F, you'd slow the bacteria sufficiently that your pitched yeast should out compete it especially as it comes up to temp. I'd not put it in the keezer without putting the yeast in first, even if I had to pitch again to get fermenting going later.

As to the other ideas, you mentioned having 2 in the fridge and able to get one more? Can you remove one of the others? Temp control is important, but it is also variable when important. If your current occupants are 95% done, I'd be less concerned with them in the swamp cooler (or the 35F keezer) than a fresh batch of wort in those conditions.

I would move the corny kegs from keezer to temp controlled fridge after filling a growler or two, then use the keezer which is indoors as the fermentation chamber since it has a temp controller as well and I will have adequate space. I just won't be able to get any beer from the kegs which is what the growlers are for. Should be good to go.

Back