Storing starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigliver

Reaction score
Hello,

Usually I use lme or dme for my starter, but I'd like to but aside a gallon or two of wort after a brew session. What would the best way to store it? I was going to use some 1/2 gallon mason jars, fill them with the off boil wort, ring seal them and then place the jars into boiling water for 5-10 minutes to ensure a seal and to further sanitize.

Afterwards, do they have to be stored in fridge/freezer, or would a cool dark corner of my garage be okay?

Thank you,

If your only going to boil the mason jars I would refrigerate and boil for 20 minutes before you use it. If you want to make sterile wort you need to use a pressure cooker to ensure you kill everything in it.

When I have run off wort, I put it in a sterile gallon jug and put it in the freezer, until I am ready to use it.

Screw the jars... pour it right into a 1 gal zip lock bags and freeze it laying flat in the freezer.
Then. when you want to use it, peel off the baggie and put it directly into your pot on the stove.
Bring it to a boil with a lid, and then pull it off the heat and allow to cool to pitching temp.
I've done it this way for maybe 25 times, and have never had an infection.

I pressure can wort in quart jars. The smaller volume allows me to use a partial vial of yeast and step it up. Make sure it is an appropriate gravity, add a little yeast nutrient before canning.

I recently uncovered some 10+ year old pressure cooker "cooked" starters in pint jars that are very dark but very clear. Didn't use them but at least I know the method worked well. Get Log Leistad's Yeast Culturing book (only 48 pages including blanks- 3 16pg sigs) at your LHBS - mine was only $4.95 in 1995. Very good reference book.

Latest posts

Back