Storing Kegs at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
About a week ago, I received my 2-corny setup from Midwest and kegged 2 batches. I purged the headspace with CO2 and hit the kegs with 10 psi. They are currently sitting at room temperature until I purchase my mini-fridge, probably in a week or so. Generally, how long can kegged beer be kept without refrigeration?

A keg is no different than a bottle, just a very big bottle. So some can continue to improve over years or some will mature faster depending on style. So just treat them like a big bottle and you'll be fine.

A keg is no different than a bottle, just a very big bottle. So some can continue to improve over years or some will mature faster depending on style. So just treat them like a big bottle and you'll be fine.

+1 on that. no worries. mellow....:mug:

I only have the 2 kegs right now. The kegs will go in the kegerator once I get it up and running. Perhaps I can buy one more keg so I can have another beer ready to go into the kegerator when one runs empty. I live in an apartment, and space is at a premium. My fermenters and brewing gear have become semi-permanent furnishings in my apartment, to the chagrin of SWMBO. As such I'm trying to limit my equipment purchases until I finish grad school and move into a house.

Just curious, do they need to be connected to a tank/regulator while being held at room temp, or can you just purge the space with CO2 and leave the kegs in a corner somewhere until you're ready to refrigerate/carbonate them?

Just curious, do they need to be connected to a tank/regulator while being held at room temp, or can you just purge the space with CO2 and leave the kegs in a corner somewhere until you're ready to refrigerate/carbonate them?

No need to leave them connected. Just purge the oxygen and hit it with enough co2 to seal the lid.

About a week ago, I received my 2-corny setup from Midwest and kegged 2 batches. I purged the headspace with CO2 and hit the kegs with 10 psi. They are currently sitting at room temperature until I purchase my mini-fridge, probably in a week or so. Generally, how long can kegged beer be kept without refrigeration?

Getting close to becoming a kegger myself, and am curious about storage, too. Glad ISUBrew79 asked the question. Is it necessary to store under a "certain" amount of CO2 pressure, or could you just purge the tank of oxygen and set it aside like you would a secondary?

I would like to keep the kegs at room temperature, then bottle a 12-pack +/- as needed using counter pressure, and chill the bottles in the family fridge. I do not want to buy a beer fridge right now. Does this sound like a plan?

Sorry for getting off topic with this next question, but thought of it as I was typing above..........Can you use PET bottles with a BMBF or similar concept? I have kind of gotten used to rinsing the empties and throwing them in a bag in the corner of the pantry until next time. The bag of PET's is much lighter than a box of bottles.

Thanks.:mug:

EDIT: Was in the middle of typing this when the last two responses were posted.

No need to leave them connected. Just purge the oxygen and hit it with enough co2 to seal the lid.

I check my kegs every week or two with a gage to make sure I don't have a small leak.
You can use something like this http://northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/bleeder.jpg

I built my own for @ $10.

I have 16 kegs 4 in the cooler tapped, 6 conditioning (1 for a year) and 4 waiting to be filled.

You can never have too many kegs.

I am still new to the keg thing and do want to have a few on hand ready to go. I have one almost ready to keg and do not have room in my fridge. If I keg this batch and purge the headspace and store at room temperature for a month or so does it still take a week or two at pouring pressure for carbonation.

Can I use a second CO2 tank and set the keg to pouring pressure at room temperature and it will be ready to tap and drink. I know this will use more CO2, but was wonder if it is ok.

Thanks,
Ken

If you wish to carbonate it at room temperature then you need something like 30PSI in there. Just check it periodically for the first few days and pressure back up to 30PSI, eventually it will stop absorbing the CO2 and remain steady at 30PSI. I personally leave my keg at that, only dropping down to 10PSI when I've hooked it up to my flash chiller and I'm ready to drink.

If you wish to carbonate it at room temperature then you need something like 30PSI in there. Just check it periodically for the first few days and pressure back up to 30PSI, eventually it will stop absorbing the CO2 and remain steady at 30PSI. I personally leave my keg at that, only dropping down to 10PSI when I've hooked it up to my flash chiller and I'm ready to drink.

Do you leave the C02 connected or just check every few days and bring it back to 30psi?

Just periodically reconnected the CO2 to check and re-pressurise (or at least turned the gas off in-between). I'm paranoid about developing a leak and losing all my gas which is why I prefer to do it this way. You can of course leave it connected and on if you are confident that it's not going to leak. Usually after a few days the pressure tends to remain static. At this point I just disconnect and leave it until I require it for drinking. :)

Thanks for the info!! I am just going to hook up the C02 and check it periodically.

Now that I know I can do this I need more kegs :)

Thank you again!

Back