Storing kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Lets say I keg a beer, prime w some sugar purge with some CO2 and seal. How long am I still OK to keep this keg "in waiting" for my tap to free up.
(Yes, I've only got 1 tap; ghetto rigged 3.3 cu ft kegerator that I built; that works awesome btw!)

Just want to make sure I keep my rotation in order without harming the brew. If anything I'm thinking it'll benefit from aging a few weeks and naturally carbing some.
Thanks,
-beermethatbeer

Just to elaborate on what USAFSooner said, if the beer is properly kegged (sanitized keg, O2 purged, no leaks), then the keg won't be the limiting factor in the beer's age. You should have several months *at least* before the flavor of the beer starts to degrade appreciably, depending on the style / hop characteristics. (Same as with bottled beer.)

Awesome, thanks. Thats what i thought. Keep reading that a keg is like "a big bottle", so now i feel better (assuming i keg correctly; one keg in, i think my procedure/sanitation was good)

Right, should have mentioned style. Probably keep to a blonde or amber. Styles that i dont have to worry too much about losing hop aroma.

The only reason i ask, is that i kicked my keg of Strawberry Wheat. And now im feeling lost with no beer on tap. Need a backup on hand at all times!!
-bmtb

Back