Storing in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza1234

Reaction score
I recently started putting beer in kegs (19 litres ) I gas them the quick way by rolling keg around etc and that seems to work well. What I need to know is how long I can leave brew in the keg befor gassing and if I gas it and leave out of fridge for a few weeks Advice appreciated..

Oh Jeeze.... prolly just a couple weeks .... after that, you better send it to me for disposal.

Seriously, refrigerated ? perhaps a year? ....easily 3-4 months tho. Depends on style and sanitation procedures

Lol. As long as you've replaced all of the o2 in the keg with co2, and your lid holds pressure, you can leave a carbed keg out of the fridge indefinitely, although you will want to keep it where the temperature won't swing drastically. Just make sure when you're ready to tap it again, chill it for at least two days or you'll pour nothing but foam.

Yup. As stated above purge the headspace in the keg of o2 and seal the lid. Then it can sit. Even if you don't carb it it can sit as long as you hit it with enough gas to keep the lid pressurized. I do this often when I have more beer than room in my keezer or am using a keg for a rare secondary.

I filled a keg and let it sit idle a couple of weeks at room temp after purging with CO2. I did this while the keg was in a holding pattern waiting for a slot in the keezer to chill and do a forced carb. Much to my surprise, the keg had darn near "self carbed" itself while just sitting there. I was relatively sure I had hit FG before racking to keg, but I suppose the racking process roused the yeast to the point it got a small amount of fermentation re-started.

Once gassed/carbed, seems like most beer will remain pretty stable at room temp. Commercial beer often is shipped and stored non-refrigerated and is just fine once you chill and tap it.

I accidentally left a keg of Ale sitting in the kegerator (which was not powered on all the time) for 4 years. I was starting up brewing again when i realized I hadn't actually kicked that last keg. So I tapped it at room temp and out poured a still very delicious ambiguously flavored Ale of some kind. I think it was a Pale ale but it wasn't very hoppy anymore. But it was still not too bad. Better than bud, definitely not fresh, but not bad tasting at all. So I would answer that you should consume BEFORE 4 years for maximum freshness.

Lol. As long as you've replaced all of the o2 in the keg with co2, and your lid holds pressure, you can leave a carbed keg out of the fridge indefinitely, although you will want to keep it where the temperature won't swing drastically. Just make sure when you're ready to tap it again, chill it for at least two days or you'll pour nothing but foam.
Thanks seatazz that is what I hoped to hear

I accidentally left a keg of Ale sitting in the kegerator (which was not powered on all the time) for 4 years. I was starting up brewing again when i realized I hadn't actually kicked that last keg. So I tapped it at room temp and out poured a still very delicious ambiguously flavored Ale of some kind. I think it was a Pale ale but it wasn't very hoppy anymore. But it was still not too bad. Better than bud, definitely not fresh, but not bad tasting at all. So I would answer that you should consume BEFORE 4 years for maximum freshness.
Thanks knotquiteawake I'll put use by dates on kegs maybe at 3 years and should be ok. lol

If I know that a keg isn't going to be on tap for a while I will add 125 grams of sugar when I keg, burp it a few times with 30 PSI CO2, and set it aside. They always seem a little better than their force-carbs brethren.

If I know that a keg isn't going to be on tap for a while I will add 125 grams of sugar when I keg, burp it a few times with 30 PSI CO2, and set it aside. They always seem a little better than their force-carbs brethren.
Thanks bleme I'll certainly try that.

I have a Belgium Strong Ale 1.093 OG and Bourbon Barrel Stout 1.110 OG both big beers I plan on aging in keg at room temp for at least 6 months. This will be my first time aging beer in kegs. plan on hitting both with 30psi and putting in closet till October.

Can’t wait! These are my first two big beers and only been brewing since Aug 2017.

I have a Belgium Strong Ale 1.093 OG and Bourbon Barrel Stout 1.110 OG both big beers I plan on aging in keg at room temp for at least 6 months. This will be my first time aging beer in kegs. plan on hitting both with 30psi and putting in closet till October.

Can’t wait! These are my first two big beers and only been brewing since Aug 2017.
I'll be watching out for your report on them.

Back