Storing grain and hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzukovsky

Reaction score
I just received about 70 lbs. of crushed grain and some hops, but, my kettle didn't ship and I have to wait two weeks for it to arrive. What is the best way to store the crushed grain and my pellet hops?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I keep my hops in zip lock freezer bags on that little shelf above the ice maker. Yeast in the little butter cubby on the fridge door. LME's in the fridge as well. I put my grains in those orange 5G homer cheapo buckets,as they have a stout seal in the lid.

Stuff the hops in the freezer and don't open them until brew day. If you did open them, them shut them back up and try to get all of the air out of the bag and use some duck tape to seal it up.

Store the grain in two plastic buckets with lids. Store in a cool dry area. Some people will tell you that you need a food-grade bucket, but this is dry grain we're talking about here. I really don't think any chemicals are going to leach out of the plastic into your dry grain. Personally, I don't use food-grade plastic buckets for my grain storage and I've never experienced any weird flavors in my beer. But if you're the type of person to worry about that kind of thing, then just go buy two five-gallon food-grade buckets with lids.

Just remember to warm the grains to room temp if they are very cold, it will make for an easier time hitting your mash temp.

Oh, and...70 pounds of crushed grain? Yeesh. I hope that kettle you purchased is big. Crushed grains go stale within a matter of a few weeks. Use it as fast as you can.

I ordered for a few batches... I had a week off and wanted to get my beers brewed for this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So you have grain and time and no where to go. That bites.

Oh, and...70 pounds of crushed grain? Yeesh. I hope that kettle you purchased is big. Crushed grains go stale within a matter of a few weeks. Use it as fast as you can.

I'll second this. I once bought two 50 lb sacks from a group buy and only when I got them home did I learn the grains in the sack were already crushed. Who does that? I still brewed with it because it was over winter when I was doing it, which is a little better for storage. If it had been summer time I wouldn't have thought twice about getting rid of that grain.

Crushed grains hold OK if cold and contained. Don't expected several months but don't sweat a few weeks. Anyone telling you otherwise probably started with old malt and didn't even know it.

[...] Crushed grains go stale within a matter of a few weeks. [...]

What is that statement based on?

Crushed grains don't go stale that fast. Think about your oatmeal containers.

They will be fine for a few months (and even longer) if stored in thick plastic bags with the air squeezed out and then put into "air tight" containers. A large storage tote will work fine to store those bags in. High temperatures and humidity will have adverse effects, but nothing that drastic. Keep cool and dry.

You may lose some diastatic power over time, but nothing that critical.

Try looking into group and bulk buys in your area.

If I may semi-hijack your thread mzukovsky,

How dry does bulk grain need to be stored?
It's in the standard sealed lid 5-gal pail right now.

It is however in the basement, and come Springtime the humidity will start to climb.
I have access to clay desiccant pouches, just wondering if I need to go that far.

Thanks mzukovsky,
'da Kid

Stuff the hops in the freezer and don't open them until brew day. If you did open them, them shut them back up and try to get all of the air out of the bag and use some duck tape to seal it up.

Store the grain in two plastic buckets with lids. Store in a cool dry area. Some people will tell you that you need a food-grade bucket, but this is dry grain we're talking about here. I really don't think any chemicals are going to leach out of the plastic into your dry grain. Personally, I don't use food-grade plastic buckets for my grain storage and I've never experienced any weird flavors in my beer. But if you're the type of person to worry about that kind of thing, then just go buy two five-gallon food-grade buckets with lids.

I am that person... A 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket with lid is around $15 at my lhbs. So when I add to my bulk grain I pickup another bucket or two. All of my grain is uncrushed. I think uncrushed I could fit around 65-70# in 2 buckets. But that would be tight. 50-55# sacks go into 6.5 gallon buckets really easily.

I'm not sure that food grade buckets are required for bulk grain but I definitely do not trust HD buckets.

Back