Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyaldis

Reaction score
M just starting to brew my own beer and need to know the best place to store it. It stays about 75 to 85 degrees in the garage and we keep the house about 65. If it stays inside will ot smell? Does it need ventilation?

You will get a little hops smell from the airlock. On Ales you need a temp of max around 72F depending on yest.

I would opt for the 65F inside the house and smell the beautiful aroma of hopps

I put mine in the basement and never noticed a bad smell, or much of any smell. When I do cider, skeeter pee, or wines, they can be a little smelly.

The ambient temp will be lower than the liquid in the fermenter. Typically most ales are fermented around 62 to 67 degrees. That said, the ambient temp should be a little lower than that because its warmer in the fermenter.

Now there are beers and yeasts that are fermented at higher temps, but most ales fit the criteria above. Higher temps will cause off flavors and fussell alcohols that you do not want on regular style ales.

Take a look at the stickies in this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge there on this very subject.

Latest posts

Back