Storage - What is too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmannering

Reaction score
I want to let a couple of bottles of barleywine mature for a few months. I know that the refrigerator is too cold, but how warm is too warm? Will it get better or worse at 75 F? How about 80? This is Texas. 65 degrees is not an option, and won't be until probably November.

thanks,

Jim

RDWHAHB.

I was given a tour of the Sierra Nevada Brewery a while back and given an opportunity to enjoy a Big Foot from 1999 that was stored in the crawl space of the guys house in Chico, CA.

It gets fricken hot in Chico and that bottle of Barleywine was awesome.

If I was to worry at all about ambient temp affecting a bottled, aging beer, it'd probably be within the first week or two of a homebrew being bottled, when the yeasties are chomping the most. Outside of that, I'd just throw in the coolest/darkest place you can.

RDWHAHB.

I was given a tour of the Sierra Nevada Brewery a while back and given an opportunity to enjoy a Big Foot from 1999 that was stored in the crawl space of the guys house in Chico, CA.

It gets fricken hot in Chico and that bottle of Barleywine was awesome.

This is a good point - some beverage styles do indeed benefit from extreme wild fluctuations in temperature - its just part of that style.
I think I recall that Italian Vinsanto (a lovely sweet drink) Is aged in people's attics. Of course this would completely destroy a light clean style like American Lager.

I opened a bottle a few days ago and apparently a little bit of warm is no problem for barleywine. After five months at 75-80 degrees it's like Wow, this tastes just like the style guide.

Back