Storage Wars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't recall which episode it was. They open the locker and it was a mess then the next scene it was all nice and organized before the auctioning began. Had a hard time watching after this.

So here are some reality shows that I know that are fake or rigged.

Storage Wars - producers hide stuff in lockers for others to find.

Survival something - Bear Gryls will go stay at a Motel 6 midway during the week. Also, dead animals will be staged for him to find and eat. Once it was found out, Discovery started putting disclaimers on the show.

Pawn Stars - Producers will hand items to customers before they come in to get evaluated. Also, if you want to bring in something unique you make an appointment ahead of time. In the meantime the guys will research it and have the expert there at the appointment time. None of this..."I'll call my buddy and have him come down here and check it out."

When the show isn't being filmed the store just sells t-shirts and nick-nacks. The store has more clothing racks than actual pawned merchandise.

The cobra body and frame they bought wasn't a 60's era Shelby body/frame. It was a continuation car. Another note, the car that they got back was a fiberglass body.

Moonshiners - Don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing the moonshiners have a license to produce shine and if the cops actually showed up, the Discovery Channel would show the permits. They just tell the shiners to pretend they don't have a permit.

Deadliest Catch - Started off legit. Now there is a quota system. The only incentive to catching crab quickly now is less fuel used.

Pawn Stars- A friend of mine went to Vegas a couple a years ago and went to the store. He said it was in a bad part of town and pops, Rick,Corey,Chumlee are never their, unless they are filming. The store was nasty, like a typical pawn shop.

So here are some reality shows that I know that are fake or rigged.

Deadliest Catch - Started off legit. Now there is a quota system. The only incentive to catching crab quickly now is less fuel used.

To be fair, the quota system has nothing to do with the show. Around 2005, the entire industry in Alaska changed. The quota system gives the crabbers a longer season, which is supposed to make fishing safer. Under the old rules, the season was over fast, causing ships to be reckless...now they catch the amount of crab they are told to catch, no matter how long it takes.

Not fair to imply the show isn't legit when they had nothing to do with it. The old way was actually "better" television, because there was more danger.

To be fair, the quota system has nothing to do with the show. Around 2005, the entire industry in Alaska changed. The quota system gives the crabbers a longer season, which is supposed to make fishing safer. Under the old rules, the season was over fast, causing ships to be reckless...now they catch the amount of crab they are told to catch, no matter how long it takes.

Not fair to imply the show isn't legit when they had nothing to do with it. The old way was actually "better" television, because there was more danger.

I liked when they did the 'behind the camera' show about how they filmed it. Shows just how dangerous it is out there even just going between pots. The weather can be brutal, and the waves can easily take a boat under.

I've watched Ice Road Truckers before, and it was better (IMO) when the show was newer. I really don't care for the ones where they follow the guys to other parts of the world.

Pawn Stars- A friend of mine went to Vegas a couple a years ago and went to the store. He said it was in a bad part of town and pops, Rick,Corey,Chumlee are never their, unless they are filming. The store was nasty, like a typical pawn shop.

there are youtube vids about the store inside and out,,,,,it's a gift store inside.
And most of the so called "experts" don't live in in the area. Dana lives here in San Diego. The show is staged

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. Alaska changed the rules to a quota system which happened during the second or 3rd season. Discovery Channel played it off like it was the other way though. It wasn't until the next year that they explained it how it actually was.

Also, during the first season, Discovery Channel gave $250,000 to the boat that caught the most crab. After that season, no more bonus. I realize this doesn't make it non-legit but it kinda sucks.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. Alaska changed the rules to a quota system which happened during the second or 3rd season. Discovery Channel played it off like it was the other way though. It wasn't until the next year that they explained it how it actually was.

Also, during the first season, Discovery Channel gave $250,000 to the boat that caught the most crab. After that season, no more bonus. I realize this doesn't make it non-legit but it kinda sucks.

It would be interesting if Discovery paid the permits for those guys on "moonshiners"

Moonshiners has to be fake. If they were really illegally distilling hooch, that would make Discovery not just involved in the operation, but also a company profiting from illegal operations. No way they risk that...

Back