Storage after bottling, how long and what temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passive

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the parameters are around storing bottled beer? So far I've just been keeping them in an enclosed corner of my basement, but the temperature there varies from 14-19 Celsius. I would also like to get into a rhythm where I can keep one or two bottles from each batch around for a long time (6-12 months), but I'm concerned that something might happen to them if left that long.

I've got the possibility of building a fairly low tech cooling chamber, if that would be beneficial for storage.

So, what's ideal, what's tolerable, and what should I definitely not do when storing my beer. ;)

Thanks!

Store it at my place, I'll PM you the address. :D

But really, I store my imperial and aging beers in empty bottle boxes, away from any light in my basement where it sits around mid 60s year round. No light, consistent temp, good storage. At least that's worked for me so far. If you have a cool closet in a second bedroom or something, that may work if your basement is fluctuating and isn't suitable.

Store it at my place, I'll PM you the address. :D

But really, I store my imperial and aging beers in empty bottle boxes, away from any light in my basement where it sits around mid 60s year round. No light, consistent temp, good storage. At least that's worked for me so far. If you have a cool closet in a second bedroom or something, that may work if your basement is fluctuating and isn't suitable.

I agree, sadly my "beer cellar" is around 70 degrees right now because of the abnormally hot summer. Also, be careful your calculating your priming sugar and make sure you hit your FG or you can get some nasty beer grenades going on when storing for a long time.

I think ideally you would want somewhere dark, dry, and about 55ish degrees.

:mug:

Even 65F or so would be fine for storage after conditioning at 70F or so. And def put them in sturdy boxes away from the light. Skunk wizz is nasty...:drunk:

Yeah,that's not a bad storage temp. Conditioning at 70F seems to work quite well,from my observations,so I go with that. But I wish I could store them after that point @ 65F or so. I think they'd hold up better for longer periods of time at cool cellar temps that don't get down too far.

Latest posts

Back