Mead storing temperature after bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Hi guys, long story short. I've bottled my mead yesterday and kept it in my kizzer. I didn't bulk conditioning, it went to the bottles after stabilizing with sorbate/campden solution. I live in Japan weather is very hot right now around 30 c/86 room temperature. In the kizzer its about 1c / 33 F.I just read the article wich says that mead can not improve in the fridge. What would you recommend keep it outside or in the kizzer? I don't really have other options. Please share your experience and recommendations, Thank you for your time.

Wine cellars were/are always around 50 F (10 C) so your refrigerator/freezer might be a little too cold to properly store and age the mead. What you might do is add some kind of thermal switch that keeps the keezer at a higher temperature by switching it on when the temperature rises above , say 12-15 C and off when the temp falls below say 9C .
I am not a shill for Inkbird digital temp controllers, but this model is plug and play and I have to say that I love mine (which I attach to a "dorm" style refrigerator which I use as a cheese cave to age my home made cheeses. Check out Model 308 which in the US costs less than $40.00

Wine cellars were/are always around 50 F (10 C) so your refrigerator/freezer might be a little too cold to properly store and age the mead. What you might do is add some kind of thermal switch that keeps the keezer at a higher temperature by switching it on when the temperature rises above , say 12-15 C and off when the temp falls below say 9C .
I am not a shill for Inkbird digital temp controllers, but this model is plug and play and I have to say that I love mine (which I attach to a "dorm" style refrigerator which I use as a cheese cave to age my home made cheeses. Check out Model 308 which in the US costs less than $40.00
Thank you very much for your reply, I will definitely check the controller out. Thanx.

If you catch a good sale you can get the Wi-Fi one for around $30. It’s nice having extra control and also temperature logging

Hi, not sure if you have a basement or not, Japan maybe a single room on a highrise. However maybe you do. Others that do have basements are insulated for sure from temp swings.... But to find the ideal spot as well, this is my experience

Bought one of these, not cheap for sure, used its eight (8) sensors to find the ideal spot of RH and temp (1 deg F fluctuation year round) in the house, been happy since. Used it for other purposes, as in fridges, deep freezers, outside now, and also helping others find the solution to where to age wine in their house. You may find it useful as well. I didn't have to make a cooler, fridge, or otherwise cellar. The location as expected was in the basement, but not in a spot I expected. This item really cut down time, and energy, and has helped countless club members with the same issue, finding and using a spot for aging wines/beers, or otherwise monitoring fridge/freezer temps. Hope that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLHH7Q2
I also know that folks often make mead in the Fall (harvests) and cooler temps, bottle and age in the winter while inside more than outside, as well they can and do make insulated cooler/aging boxes so temps don't fluctuate as much. You sound like you have a very big delta in temps per day or seasonally.

Back