Stoppers sliding out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuginator

Reaction score
Sigh... brewed up 2 gallons yesterday; two more test batches, still trying to isolate a flavor defect. Using Rossi wine jugs (or equivalent neck size).

rossi.jpg

So, the first time I used them, I used #6.5 stoppers and they fit just fine. This time, they would not fit!! I'd try to push them in and they'd just slide right back out. I finally had to resort to duct tape because I had no other stoppers and no other choice (that I knew about in a pinch anyway).

Given, the first time I used them I was using One Step, and this last batch was done with Star San - which is much more slippery.

So is a #6 stopper the proper one to use in those jugs or are those too small? Anyone else run into this last-minute nightmare?

I had this problem yesterday with my carboy. I just used a paper towel soaked in vodka to wipe the Star San off of the stopper and the neck. It stayed in fine after that. Just make sure to wring out the paper towel pretty well.

I use a #6 stopper in those jugs. But, star-san is super slippery! You need to gently dry the neck of the jug with a clean paper towel, and use a dry stopper. I sanitize the stopper and let it sit on a paper towel, then put it in dry.

Latest posts

Back