Quantcast

Stopper for pyrex carboy??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PAC762

Reaction score
**EDIT: Nevermind. I soaked the stopper in hot water and I think I got it to hold.

I was given a 5.5 gallon pyrex carboy-looking-thing from a friend. It looks just like this:

I measured the opening and I thought a #11.5 stopper would work. However, the stopper won't stay in place no matter what I do. I've washed all of the star san off both the mouth of the carboy and the stopper and dried both. The stopper still pops out after I push it down.

Out of frustration, I tried a #12, which was too big to fit.

I also tried one of those "universal" stoppers (ie- cup-shaped) that was sized for a demijohn.... Too small.

Does anybody have one of these and know what will work for a stopper???

JVD_X

Reaction score
I know you said... nevermind.... but there is a larger style universal stopper that is used with Better Bottles which you might want to try.

TheTower

Reaction score
Hey, I just got three of those bad boys for free at work the other week. I was just planning on using tin foil, as I will only use them as secondary. That lip at the top makes carrying these things a breeze.

EoinMag

Reaction score
You could also try putting some petroleum jelly on the stopper, it's used normally in labs with a very thin film on the ground glass surfaces to create a seal.

jcdillin

Reaction score
It's ok if the stopper doesn't fit. I'll trade you for a carboy that it does fit :D

conpewter

Reaction score
Oh FREAKIN' great! Now we are going to start seeing debate threads on which is better, "regular" glass carboys or borosilicate glass! :(

If those were commercially available.... :D

Borosilicate is awesome stuff, you can go from flame to ice-water without cracking them, they are harder so they are less likely to break.