Stone Inconsistency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shek

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought two bombers of Stone AB from my local Pavillions (Spring/Woodruff). They tasted stale (and/or I just don't remember what AB is supposed to taste like). I got a few bombers from Bevmo (PCH/2nd), and they tasted better, but still not quite what I remember (a little low on the hop flavor/aroma). This past week I got two bombers of Stone IPA from the same Pavillions and they tasted great. Yesterday I bought a sixer of Stone IPA from the same store and it was a little more bitter but had very little hop flavor/aroma. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this much variability, or if it's all in my head. I'm brewing tomorrow, and I think I'm still gonna grab a few bombers of IPA just to make sure I'm not crazy.

Anything is possible. Commercial brew is bottled and shipped all over the place. Although precautions are taken you never know how many hot/cold cycles it has been through, or how old it is.

It could also be your taste buds playing some tricks on you. Find a good clone reipe and make your own. Then you''ll always know where it's been and what temp it was at.

There is a best by date on the side of Stone bottles. It is faint and white toward the bottom of the bottle. I'd look and see if they were old. I wouldn't be surprised. I see a lot of expired Stone beer even in San Diego.

While resisting my knee jerk reaction to smash Stone, I would have to say the brewery only controls the quality of the product until it hits the distributor. This is why you do not see inconsistency in Russian River. Vinny has some pretty strict storage rules for his distributors. Based on the saturation of Stones distribution model, I would assume they have less constraints on product handling.

It can also be the particular store. Just last week I saw a beer delivery sitting on the dock, in the sun, at 95F.

Was there for at least 4 hours, as i had to drive past the store again 4 hours later.

I don't think it's a Stone problem, but given the selection at this particular grocery store that's about the only beer I buy there. Once I get a few more AG batches under my belt, I'll just start trying to make a clone and stop worrying.

While resisting my knee jerk reaction to smash Stone, I would have to say the brewery only controls the quality of the product until it hits the distributor. This is why you do not see inconsistency in Russian River. Vinny has some pretty strict storage rules for his distributors. Based on the saturation of Stones distribution model, I would assume they have less constraints on product handling.

ugh. My friend bought a 6 month or so old bottle of Pliny at this crappy store in my neighborhood. It was foul. Luckily, that's not common.

Latest posts

Back