Stone' Epic Ale 7-7-7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
BevMo ships beer in California and Brown did me right by
bringing my case of Epic Ale yesterday!!!! It's Stone's
version of a Belgium on CRACK. They have combined
the Saison and Golden Tripel styles very tastily - had one
last night. So smooth - sooooooo mildly spicey - a bit hoppy
too.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, beer

I have to agree that is one awesome beer, I can't wait to see how it ages.

Vertical Epic series....course, they change the brew each year so I suppose it truly can't do a vertical by normal definitions

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/index.php
As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are:
08.08.08 09.09.09 10.10.10 11.11.11 12.12.12

I'm going to try to pick up a couple bottles today. I went to the store the other day and they were all out. I'm trying a different place tonight.

They have it at my local store, going to pick one up soon, not going to wait 5 years to drink it though, maybe 5 minutes.

I want this sooo bad. Well, anything Stone right now would be nice as its not available here in MO.

I think I may order a large batch of Stone and grab a couple bottles of this with the order. It was only $6 for a bomber.

davidr2340 said:
The apocalypse is upon us.

Seriously, $250+ for these? Even if the seller kept them under "recommended conditions" all this time, he's still shipping them UPS ground...in July. Insane!

What's next? Futures on beer "vintages" made from barley and hops grown on specific tiny plots of land, using free-range yeast?

PS: if the winning bidder is anyone on his board, can I have some? :cross:

I have an 05, 06, and now eleven 07's. So far my favorite has been 05. Nice malty and chocolatey dark with subtle alcohol hints. But then if it's Stone it's generally ALL GOOD!!!

Had one of the 05s this past week and it didn't change much from what I remembered. Maybe the alchohol notes were a bit more present, but still very, very good.

Yeah, last year at Christmas time Stone had a 2 week event where they pulled out kegs from way back in '96(?) when they started. They had all the Epics, ABA's, B-Wine and IPA's. Dude, I'm telling you. It was sweet. Some of those beers aged amazingly. I really enjoyed being able to go year by year and note the complexities as the beers progressively aged. There were so many beers on tap I had to get a 3 oz taster of each beer. Needless to say, I was hammered after the first few. I'm totally checking to see if they do it again this year.

I think that they usually plan to empty their cellars several times a year.

COMING UP AT STONE:
STONE COMPANY STORE:
KICK THAT KEG WEEK! MONDAY - SUNDAY, JULY 9th - 15th
We're clearing out our archives and over one week we’ll be putting keg after keg up for growler fills. As soon as we finish off one beer for growler fills, a new one goes on. All special release or one of a kind beers, all week! We won’t tell you what order we’re tapping them, but here’s the short list of kegs we have set aside:
2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2005 & 2006 Double Bastard Ale
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA
Double Dry Hopped Stone 10th Anniversary IPA
...and more assorted specialty brews!

This is one of the last two days for their most recent event, but something tasty is always going on. I wish that their brewery wasn't 3 hours away.:(

I finally found some today after no dice a few times this week. I picked up three bottles. One for now and two for long term storage.

mrb said:
COMING UP AT STONE:
STONE COMPANY STORE:
KICK THAT KEG WEEK! MONDAY - SUNDAY, JULY 9th - 15th
We're clearing out our archives and over one week we’ll be putting keg after keg up for growler fills. As soon as we finish off one beer for growler fills, a new one goes on. All special release or one of a kind beers, all week! We won’t tell you what order we’re tapping them, but here’s the short list of kegs we have set aside:
2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2005 & 2006 Double Bastard Ale
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA
Double Dry Hopped Stone 10th Anniversary IPA
...and more assorted specialty brews!

I'm crying myself to sleep tonight.

I picked up a couple of bottles on 7/7 and damn that was a tasty brew. I generally prefer things a bit more hoppy and balanced, but this was quite enjoyable.

<-- still looking for more Double Bastard

Back