Double IPA Stone Enjoy By IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Space is a concern or else I would buy a nice freezer, that being said I am not opposed to picking one up new for around $150 if anyone knows where to get one that cheap.

I need three freezers right now, one to ferment/lager/cold crash, one to make into a keezer, and one to store ingredients/venison/fish fillets.

I might be able to do a freezer and a fridge combo to get by for now.

Well if you are getting a mini fridge with enough space for a single fermenter (I am assuming) a little 5cu ft freezer would do the trick and not take up much more space than a mini fridge. Just saying.

I just picked up a 5cu ft guy that I use exclusively for cold-crashing for $80 off of Craigslist. It is a 1 year old like new Holiday model. When I don't have a beer cold crashing I drop it down to normal freezer temps and store things like hops, ice packs and a few other small miscellaneous freezables. My wife was very happy that my 8lbs of hops was moved out of our kitchen freezer. ;)

You should be able to find a brand new one that size for $150ish if you don't want to play the craigslist game.

Racked it to the secondary today, thankfully the temperatures have been under control. Got a chance to taste it while I was taking the S.G. reading (1.020) and I am very excited to get this in the keg and see the final product!

Man this is a great beer. Will be brewing an Enjoy By inspired beer soon.

How long does this beer retain the hop aroma once it's bottled? I'm thinking about making it for my friends wedding and trying to figure out the lead time to have it at its best. I plan to keg to carb it and then bottle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well the latest round of Enjoy By is dated 7/4 and according to their website was bottled 5/30, so Stone seems to think ~5 weeks once bottled.

So grain-to-bottle thinking 1 week to ferment, 1 week for dry hopping, 1 week to cold crash/clear, 1 week to carb... so following Stone schedule I would think about brewing ~2 months out on the outset.

I would guess that Stone probably speeds up a couple of those steps (specifically, clearing the beer and carbing it up) but for a homebrew scale I think that is about right. If it were me I'd probably start the brew about 6 weeks out. Also, if you are promising it for a friends wedding I would do 2 separate batches brewed a few days to a week apart just in case something goes south with a batch.

Since you are kegging, pressurize it and bottle as close to the wedding as possible IMO

Well the latest round of Enjoy By is dated 7/4 and according to their website was bottled 5/30, so Stone seems to think ~5 weeks once bottled.

So grain-to-bottle thinking 1 week to ferment, 1 week for dry hopping, 1 week to cold crash/clear, 1 week to carb... so following Stone schedule I would think about brewing ~2 months out on the outset.

I would guess that Stone probably speeds up a couple of those steps (specifically, clearing the beer and carbing it up) but for a homebrew scale I think that is about right. If it were me I'd probably start the brew about 6 weeks out. Also, if you are promising it for a friends wedding I would do 2 separate batches brewed a few days to a week apart just in case something goes south with a batch.

I asked when I was visiting the brewery last October/November and the bartender said that they bottle it one week after they brew it. This means that they must be filtering it, which I told him, and he said yes they do. I don't know how much he knows about brewing or the whole process, but he seemed to know about all the details. When I brewed it, I did the same. I doubt I would filter another beer ever again, but I was very impressed with the recipe.

TD

For this recipe it is added during the boil.

I've always heard "add it whenever" but have always personally added it with 15 minutes remaining just for consistency purposes.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406051242.906763.jpg Brewing this as I type. Here's a money shot of my 15 minute addition

anyone try this recipe with Nottinham? I have some harvested notty that I've built up with a large starter. I figure its clean enough to work for this and attenuates so well and is very clean as long as it is in the low 60's. I think it might even be the dry yeast version of WLP007.

There is a different yeasty that is Notty. Wlp039. Wlp007 is supposed to be wy1098 dry whitbread (mr malty.com). The s-04 should be the same dry whitbread strain from what I've heard as well.

Notty would be okay as long as you have strict temp control. Not clone perfect, but a really solid yeast and one of my favorites.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408501079.637985.jpg bottling this tomorrow. Overshot the gravity and ended up around 10.7%. Should be tasty nonetheless

Hmm, I have had multiple bottles from both of those batches and I didn't notice the difference like you did. Maybe something happened to your 4/20's prior to you purchasing them? i.e. UV exposure, hot/cold swings etc.? Or maybe there was a diff and I just didn't detect it.

As far as brewing it, I made my first attempt at it last month and it turned out fantastic. I really rushed the process too in order to get a couple bottles into a local competition - primary 4 days, secondary with first dry hop 6 days, keg with second dry hop 3 days at 30 psi, then bottled for comp. I bottled an extra one to sample on the day I knew the judging would take place. Tasted awesome!!! I have to wait a couple weeks yet for results to be announced. Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that the beer left in the keg that I continued to drink had its hop aroma and some hop flavor fade extremely fast. By week two it tasted quite different. I don't know if it is because of the particular dry hop varieties used or that in combination with dry hopping in the keg (which I never did remove btw). Either way I've never had an IPA fade this fast. Next time I plan to do both rounds of dry hopping in fermentor and not in keg. Maybe 1 round in primary and 1 in secondary. I usually like to dry hop in secondary (I've done both many times) but I also like to keep the transferring to a minimum.

Cheers!

How did this beer fare in the competition?

Has anyone tried lowering the starting gravity on this to bring the alcohol down to an IPA level? How would I go about doing that? Would I lower all the grains and dextrose? I'd like to keep most of the bitterness, but I assume I should lower some of bittering hops, correct?

Has anyone tried lowering the starting gravity on this to bring the alcohol down to an IPA level? How would I go about doing that? Would I lower all the grains and dextrose? I'd like to keep most of the bitterness, but I assume I should lower some of bittering hops, correct?

I would complete remove the dextrose and see where that puts you with gravity on your system. If you still need to lower it then decrease equal amounts of the grain (keeping the 50/50 split). For the hops I would proportionately decrease the hop extract ibu based on the decreased OG and keep the flavor/aroma additions the same. Brew that recipe up once and then adjust your mash temp if you want it more/less fermentable.

^you could lower the gravity of this beer no problem.

basically, scale everything down.

this recipe is set for 85% efficiency (i think) - so assuming you get 75% efficiency and cut the grain down to 13.5 total lbs and cut dextrose to 1/2lb you should get:

1.066 starting gravity.

Use this tool to play with the numbers so you can match YOUR system and needs: http://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/

Thanks for the tips! My first two recipes were also IPA bombs and I realised that the hop absorbs a lot of liquid indeed!

What I did to filter the hops is a trick I read here on HBT : I tied a filtering bag when I racked to my bottling bucket. It works pretty well!

(I now bought a reusable nylon bag and will use a clamp instead of a rubber band!)

rPQqblm.jpg

How has that filtering system been working out for you? My next brew I am going to do the same. Buy a paint strainer bag or maybe a hop bag and use a zip tie to secure it. Have any suggestions?

How has that filtering system been working out for you? My next brew I am going to do the same. Buy a paint strainer bag or maybe a hop bag and use a zip tie to secure it. Have any suggestions?

I've been using the same method for almost all of my large hoppy IPA's and it's worked like a charm. I just use a nylon paint strainer bag and a rubber band when kegging. I've also used it for my last fruit beer and it caught most of the rasberry gunk leaving a clean fruit beer.

I do that for almost all of my batches just to catch anything that may get kicked up. I use a paint strainer bag and wash them and reuse thema few times. Works great.

I just brewed this a couple weeks ago. I lowered the OG to 1.057 by removing the dextrose and lowering the grains. I kept everything else the same. Yes, I know the balance will be off, but I don't care :)

I kegged it on Thurs with the second dry hops in the keg. I tried a sample yesterday and despite being a bit yeasty, green and without much carbonation, it was awesome! I think in a few days to a week it will amazing.

I've been using the same method for almost all of my large hoppy IPA's and it's worked like a charm. I just use a nylon paint strainer bag and a rubber band when kegging. I've also used it for my last fruit beer and it caught most of the rasberry gunk leaving a clean fruit beer.

I do that for almost all of my batches just to catch anything that may get kicked up. I use a paint strainer bag and wash them and reuse thema few times. Works great.

Thanks for the info guys.

I brewed this up recently, but I removed the dextrose and lowered the grains to have a lower OG. It ended up at 6.4% ABV, but I kept the hop schedule the same (well I did a few subs). The beer came out amazing. I would highly recommend lower the OG if you don't want as high of ABV as the original.

I have an Enjoy by 9.20.14 and 10.31.14 to compare to (my friend owns a craft beer store and gave me the old one since it was passed the date, so it will be interesting to see how it changes).

We had some friends over to compare my version to the commercial 9.20.14 and 10.31.14 versions. I wasn't expecting much difference in the old one, but surprisingly it was very different. I wonder if the hops were different or if the difference is only due to age. The old one had very little hop aroma unlike my clone and the fresh one. Both of which were amazing. Mine was very cloudy and the Stone one was perfectly clear though.

Also had a few other beers. The Wicked Weed Freak of Nature was amazing.

F1QpZVo.jpg

I was under the impression that Stone changes the recipe for each release. And of course the old one was short on hop aroma, that is why they label it the way they do. ;)

As far as clarity, my version of this cleared up nicely with a good cold crash and some gelatin. Not sure if Stone uses a centrifuge or filters, but they do have some fancy equipment available to them to help clear things up nicely and quickly.

My impression was they may change the hops around due to availability of the 14 or some crazy number of hops in there (I could be wrong though). And I knew the hop aroma would fade, but I didn't think it would be that bad. And it was still worth the price I paid for it - $0.

Stone filters most of their beers with a diatomaceous earth filter. They point it out in the tour.

brewed this on 1/2. first dryhop yesterday... 007 took it to 1.012, the sample tasted great. I plan to do dryhop #2 in the keg. calling it "enjoy by π"

Just listened to BeerSmith Podcast #96 with Mitch Steele and he said for the last year year they switched to using motueka and helga hops for the dry hop due to availability of the nelson sauvin. Of course I just bought some galaxy and nelson sauvin to brew this recipe again shortly.

I was hoping some one could help me understand where I went wrong with this recipe. Mine can out looking like mud puddle water. I accidentally mixed up my malts and used pilsner malt in place of one of the 2 base malts in the recipe. I don't remember which got replaced by the pilsner malt as it was some time ago. The beer tastes great, no off flavors, but the color is far from appealing. Pilsner malt wouldn't cause this would it?

What could have caused this? Just trying to understand. Mash ph was around 5.3-5.4, I used Bru'n water pale ale profile. This is the only beer I have brewed that came out look so ugly.

I was hoping some one could help me understand where I went wrong with this recipe. Mine can out looking like mud puddle water. I accidentally mixed up my malts and used pilsner malt in place of one of the 2 base malts in the recipe. I don't remember which got replaced by the pilsner malt as it was some time ago. The beer tastes great, no off flavors, but the color is far from appealing. Pilsner malt wouldn't cause this would it?

What could have caused this? Just trying to understand. Mash ph was around 5.3-5.4, I used Bru'n water pale ale profile. This is the only beer I have brewed that came out look so ugly.

could just be the ton of hops. did you try gelatin? mine never really cleared completely, but i also keg hopped... post a pic?

I would assume it's hops and/or yeast. Some gelatin should do the trick. What yeast did you use?

Back