Stone Distribution Change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmandave

Reaction score
My local beer shops seem to have run out of most of their Stone beer overnight. I asked the owner what was up and he told me that Budweiser bought them out. I knew that was completely beyond any feasibility. So I went to another beer shop and he said the same thing. I know Stone didn't sell out, but I know they just changed up their distributors. Anyone know if there's any Budweiser connections in the new deal?

I haven't heard anything like that and a web search doesn't bring up any news of a buyout. IDK where those guys are getting their info from but you may want to ask.

I do know that Stone is putting their East coast brewery in Richmond, VA though. VA is giving them a $5 million dollar grant for the brewery. It's planned to be in a bad part of town so I guess they're hoping it'll create jobs. I'd love to work at Stone...

I don't know anything about the AB connection, but it is not planned in a "bad part of town". It is in an old warehouse district right on the river next to Rockett's Landing...which is a fairly new condo development and restaurant strip. This is an up and coming area...and once again in Richmond, what was old is new again.

Also, first place I have ever seen a six pack of Stone being sold was in Target on Sunday in Mechanicsville, VA. Right next to Red's cider.

http://www.richmond.com/food-drink/...1e3-bc92-0017a43b2370.html?mode=image&photo=1

I don't know anything about the AB connection, but it is not planned in a "bad part of town". It is in an old warehouse district right on the river next to Rockett's Landing...which is a fairly new condo development and restaurant strip. This is an up and coming area...and once again in Richmond, what was old is new again.

Also, first place I have ever seen a six pack of Stone being sold was in Target on Sunday in Mechanicsville, VA. Right next to Red's cider.

http://www.richmond.com/food-drink/...1e3-bc92-0017a43b2370.html?mode=image&photo=1

I think builders like to call the area "resurging". Which actually is quite nice. You get in cheap and the area really does rebuild. I have a friend who has a house that she got for about 1/3 what it is worth today, legitimately. Due to the area being built up over the last 5 years, she benefitted with increased equity and of course, a nicer neighborhood.

Stone being bought out by AB would be in the news for sure. Not too sure why guys are telling you that, but it sounds incredibly false. Also, in spite of AB's cash flow, I think buying Stone would cost them a pretty penny. There's no way I can see anyone walking away from Stone without it costing AB boat loads of money.

I think builders like to call the area "resurging". Which actually is quite nice. You get in cheap and the area really does rebuild. I have a friend who has a house that she got for about 1/3 what it is worth today, legitimately. Due to the area being built up over the last 5 years, she benefitted with increased equity and of course, a nicer neighborhood.

Yep - we have an area in Buffalo going through this. There are a few breweries opening up in old warehouses on the West side. In fact one of them is called Resurgence Brewery. I'd say it's aptly named.

My buddy said it wasn't in the best part of town so I just took his word for it since he's lived there for several years. Maybe it was a while ago. Either way I'm looking forward to having fresh Stone beers in the future! :ban:

Uh.... doesn't Greg Koch absolutely despise BMC? He's had a few rants about them in the past...

And yes its a good time to be a Virginian, we are getting Green Flash as well!

Uh.... doesn't Greg Koch absolutely despise BMC? He's had a few rants about them in the past...

That's what I'm saying. That's what threw the red flags. Im just going by what both of the shops told me. My assumption was that maybe with their deal to distribute to Canada, they got with the same distributor that handles Bud. Kinda pissing me off that I can't get a bottle of Oaked A.B. Anywhere right now!

That's what I'm saying. That's what threw the red flags. Im just going by what both of the shops told me. My assumption was that maybe with their deal to distribute to Canada, they got with the same distributor that handles Bud. Kinda pissing me off that I can't get a bottle of Oaked A.B. Anywhere right now!

I just texted a friend who is an inbev sales rep in my area, I'll let you guys know what he says.

Sounds like those guys are full of crap!

Or have insider info . . .

Your pick :D

My favorite local taproom in town stopped carrying it, the bartender said something about distribution, but....I gotta wonder why a grocery store 2 miles away still has it on their shelves.....unless perhaps the grocery store stuff is incredibly old inventory (a possibility) ... dunno, but...I like Stone

My friend just texted me back and this is what he said "That is erroneous. InBev does not own Stone. They are looking at other Craft breweries on the West Coast but havent finalized anything"

Maybe their local distributor was bought by Bud, and has chosen to no longer carry Stone? That's all I can think...

If you tell us in what state / city you're located, it might help us sort it out.

Maybe their local distributor was bought by Bud, and has chosen to no longer carry Stone? That's all I can think...

If you tell us in what state / city you're located, it might help us sort it out.

Thats what came to mind too. The 3 tier system working to promote competition...

InBev did buy goose island. I still like their beer though. I haven't noticed a dip in quality. Although I wouldn't call myself an expert.

I'm also not anti bmc. I don't care for the beer but I wouldn't say I hate them per se.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

InBev did buy goose island. I still like their beer though. I haven't noticed a dip in quality. Although I wouldn't call myself an expert.

I'm also not anti bmc. I don't care for the beer but I wouldn't say I hate them per se.

That's the opposite of what most people say (myself included). Though the drop-off could be mental :tank: ;)

I think there was a drop-off on the low end. I don't think Honker's Ale is as good as it was.

I think the higher-end beers are still pretty darn good.

I think there was a drop-off on the low end. I don't think Honker's Ale is as good as it was.

I think the higher-end beers are still pretty darn good.

My understanding is the low-end beers were outsourced to AB-InBev megafactories who may or may not be brewing them correctly or watering them down to appease the masses, while the high end beers are still brewed by the same folks who always brewed them.

I've always found Goose Island to be overrated, and nothing changed. The high end beers were decent but overpriced as they are now, and the low end ones I found lackluster then and lackluster now.

As far as Stone, I'm guessing that it's a distributor issue. Unless AB-InBev gave them all the money they needed to open the new facilities in Richmond and Berlin. You know, because pandering to their customers to pay for the breweries via Kickstarter or whatever it was was an ill-conceived plan :cross:

Nothing against Stone, but that Kickstarter deal just seemed odd and not the best idea to me.

My understanding is the low-end beers were outsourced to AB-InBev megafactories who may or may not be brewing them correctly or watering them down to appease the masses, while the high end beers are still brewed by the same folks who always brewed them.

Yes - they are being made in Baldwinsville, NY last I heard. There is a huge BUD brewery there.

What makes me wonder is how long goose island sits on the shelfs out here on the west coast. They are not that well known and I have not seen any one buy it when they put it right next to our local north california stuff.

I'm in Yuma, AZ. Barely a 3 hour trip from San Diego.

I'm in Yuma, AZ. Barely a 3 hour trip from San Diego.

That doesn't necessarily matter...

That said, check out http://find.stonebrewing.com/ and do a search for Yuma, AZ. They show 30 different places where you should be able to find it. Are the two places you were told they don't have it any more listed there?

Maybe call around a few of those places? They all list the phone numbers so it should be easy to do the research...

Would be interested to hear you report back on the findings.

Yeah, you could be right. I didn't drink their IPA too much before so I wouldn't know the difference. BCBS is still amazing though. I don't care who owns it, it wouldn't stop me from buying that beer lol.

I think the chances of the Stone guys selling out is pretty low, personally; they don't seem like the sort to care too much about money and they're already wildly successful.

Latest posts

Back