Stirring Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamamotors

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I've been thinking lately about using the stirring plate with the fermentation bucket.
The rationale: rousing top fermenting yeasts back into suspension.
The theoretical risks: oxidize the precious beer and putting yeasts on mechanical stress.

Any thoughts or previous experiences?

Ill be interested in this as well. I have been considering this for a lager fermentation using immobilized yeast. I think co2 in solution also stresses yeast. Stirred fermentation would probably reduce co2 levels during the process.

I'm also interested...I wonder how well it would work on those pesky, super-flocculating british yeast strains that like to drop out so quickly...maybe if you could turn the speed way down so that the yeast is kept in suspension but not in a raging whirlpool.

Hello guys!
I've been thinking lately about using the stirring plate with the fermentation bucket.
The rationale: rousing top fermenting yeasts back into suspension.
The theoretical risks: oxidize the precious beer and putting yeasts on mechanical stress.

Any thoughts or previous experiences?

I think you will find the information you want here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-chris-jamil-431346/

My mistake; Chris Whites' comment about making a thin beer by stirring fermentor is not in the book.

if the yeast were not already stirring the whole deal i'd say this was a good idea. a solution looking for a problem.

Back