Stirplates and Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
With a stirplate, will you get a noticable krausen or will it just keep it swirled in so that it never fully develops?

The reason I ask is that I have a 1000ml WLP550 starter going for around 24 hours and no krausen has formed.

Cheers.

BrewStef

I don't think that you will see any significant krausen. Is the wort cloudy? That will tell you that the yeast are in suspension. I just used mine last week with good success.

Actually you will see the krausen. It will still be foamy at the top when its fermenting good. It just may not climb as high. It will tend to clump in the middle more from the vortex but you will definatly be able to tell the difference. and you can tell when its done as well.

Mine has just a slight head on it. (~.25"). If the stirbar gets thrown for some reason you will see a very large & foamy head develop pretty quick.

I bring starters up to 1L normally - when it is done throw it in the fridge and you'll be suprised how much yeast has settled out. They really do make a ton of yeast compapred to how much you put in...

Thanks for all of your input. It obviously was a good starter. 12 hours after pitching I needed to affix a blowoff tube (first time I ever needed one, which was immediately followed by a major clean-up of my new chest freezer.).

As always I need to RDWAHAHB rather than WANHAHB (worry and not have a homebrew).

Cheers!

BrewStef

Note: Never got any krausen, even in the vortex. What I did notice though is a noticable sediment ring and suspended particulates...this made it obvious to me once I looked more carefully.

Back