Stir Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewer21

Reaction score
My first brew was an IPA that instructed me to NOT stir in the yeast. My next brew will be a wheat with american yeast. Should I stir it in?

I've never stirred my yeast. I suppose you could as it would aid in the aeration of your wort somewhat, but I think I'd rather have that done beforehand.

With the turbidity created by the CO2 bubbles going through the wort, I'd imagine that the yeast is being stirred constantly during active fermentation. Stirring it in at the beginning to achieve a good distribution can only help, right?

That's a good point GNBrews, I didn't think about WHEN he was talking about stirring. Stirring right after you add the yeast is fine, however once fermentation has started you definitely do not want to stir the yeast.

I would say rehydrate your yeast (assuming you are using dry) toss it in and don’t worry about it. It’s going to get mixed around on its own just fine. You can stir it if you want, it wont hurt it, but I don’t think that it is going to help.

I aerate just before and after pitching my yeast, which stirs it up plenty. It's exceedingly rare that I don't have an active fermentation within 12 hours.

Back