Stir Plate Idea???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmud0314

Reaction score
First, I have searched to see if this has been discussed. I hope I am not duplicating...

I would like to make/get a stir plate, but I am cheap and don't want to shell out 50 bucks. I consider myself moderately handy and could probably follow one of the DIY builds, but am still a little leary of doing it myself (chicken...).

How about using a small table fan? It already has a power source hooked up, many have different speeds (not variable, but high/medium/low). That would get rid of most of the the wiring/soldering. Just disassemble it, glue a washer to it, find a magnet, and mount it in box (have wood laying around). I see fans at Wally World for 15 bucks, but can get one cheaper at a garage sale probably. I could make one for ~20 bucks with a new fan. Seems like a nice balance between cost and simplicity to me. Am I overlooking something that will make this not work?

example fan-->http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Table-Top-Air-Circulator-Fan/13360493?findingMethod=rr

You're still going to have to do some wiring/soldering to slow the thing down enough for the bar to lock-on to the magnet. IMO you're not saving anything over the computer fan diy project with this. Save yourself the hassle and just buy a scientific one used. They come up for a good price every now and again. Or for about $40 you can get a fan-type one here.

What exactly are you leary about? Is it wiring the speed control?

Usually with fans like the one you linked the blades are not flush with the hub, but actually stick out past the hub, which would mean you would need to trim off the blades. Also, I'm not sure what the fan speed is like, even on low it might be too fast.

Take a look at my build thread in my sig. I didn't use a speed control, but instead used a variable output power supply, nearly nothing to wire and no soldering!

Latest posts

Back