Still here.still brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus58

Reaction score
Got an email today from the forum, that they noticed that I havn't been on the forum in a while. I realize this is just an automated thing, and that probably nobody really misses me. I really havn't been gone at all, just havn't been logging in, guess that's what spurred the automated email. I'll try and stay logged in a little more, instead of just lurking.

I'm still brewing. I brew at least twice a month, I love this hobby! I mostly buy whats on sale and brew that. try to keep the bill down to a manageable level. It may be just a hobby, but it shure gets to be work. At the end of a brewday i'm sure tired. I'm supposed to be retired, and takeing it easy. Are hobbys supposed to be this hard on a guy?

I've learned a few new things recently. yeast washing saves me dollars, and growing hopps in this hot dry climate in Texas aint that easy, I got 1 out of 10 plants that survived. Lost all my Nuggetts, and got only 1 magnum left, barely hanging on.

Good to have ya back Gus! I myself brew up to 3 times a month with a full time job and 5 year old. It is work, but i guess we chalk it up to a labor of love. Sorry about the hops, i know all to well what "Texas Heat" can do (west houston myself).

That's great you logged back in! I've gotten tons of great information here. My first year to grow hops here in Sherman tx. Out of 6, I have one only a couple of feet maybe! Where are you at?

Brownwood. We been in a hellacious drought, up until recently, we got about 10 inches of rain for the past few days, Lake Brownwood is expected to rise around 4 feet after the runoff stops. Much needed.

Howdy Gus:
I am jealous, I wish I could afford to retire. Not sure if its brewing or my family that keeps me broke. Could you please pass along "Gus Deals" when you find them. Post them up here. There always seems to be a sale on something. It just usually something that I don't need. Maybe you can help me (us) out. Just an idea.
Prost! M8B

retired in march '07 for medical reasons. I took the buy-out & ran. now my old injuries have indeed come back to haunt me...just like pop said they would. Bad L2 disc,hips goin south. I worked hard for Ford 31 years to barely walk with a cane? Brewing can be work when it comes to full brew kettles,fermenters,& bottling buckets. Otherwise,the rest ain't so bad. Save for fixed income. Kinda gets me that I finally got pretty good at brewing beer,partial mash partial boil biab at that. And I'm the only one that can drink it now. Save for some I share or send off occasionally. Ha...mein kamph...das ist mein tiel!

I mostly order my kits from Austin Home Brew or More Beer, and get emails from them on sale items. Doesn't matter what it is as long as its drinkable. I like IPAs mostly, ran into a 2 for 1 sale on Kalamazoo IPA, 8% abv, normal price was around $45.,but got 2 for that amount. Some sale items from AHB ship free. Im sure there are other companies out there with good deals, just gotta look for them.

Back