Still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I found these down the side on the outside of my kegerator. Normally they're in the freezer, but I dont how long they've just been sitting on the garage floor. Are they likely still good. I'm only asking because it's been hot since its summertime, and I'm not sure if that wouldve ruined them. There still sealed up, so I'm thinking they're okay, but just wondering.
20190717_123520.jpeg

Probably fine as long as they're sealed. Only way to know for sure is to open 'em up and smell 'em tho.

Probably fine as long as they're sealed. Only way to know for sure is to open 'em up and smell 'em tho.
I figured. Funny thing is, I thought I was going crazy looking for these the other day. I new I had a pack somewhere. I'm sure there fine, I doubt they were out for much more than a week. Thanks for the peace of mind. Not that it's a huge deal, they're 3 bucks. They're my favorite though so I dont like to waste them.

If you don’t like to waste them, then use them. Mash up some 2-row and some c60 and throw them in at 20 or 15. Use some us-05. You’ll make beer. You’ll prob make drinkable beer. Don’t chuck them out, chuck them in the boil.

if you're that worried....buy a rabbit and feed them to it, then eat the rabbit....lol...i like @WBB suggestion..just brew something simple, rabbit or otherwise...dlol's :)

I'm sure they're fine. I was just wondering how fresh the packaging alone keeps them I guess.
if you're that worried....buy a rabbit and feed them to it, then eat the rabbit....lol...i like @WBB suggestion..just brew something simple, rabbit or otherwise...dlol's :)

Get some more and use them with the new as a late addition hop. If they are still fine the worst that happens is you have a hoppier beer. If they are degraded you won't have as hoppy. But smell them first, if they smell bad, don't use them.

I'm sure they're fine. I was just wondering how fresh the packaging alone keeps them I guess.

the bag doesn't look vacuum sealed...but i wasn't trying to be insulting, just trying to give usage options. hops feed rabbit might be bigger then DNEIPA! :)

the bag doesn't look vacuum sealed...but i wasn't trying to be insulting, just trying to give usage options. hops feed rabbit might be bigger then DNEIPA! :)
Oh, I wasn't insulted, and honestly I'm not really worried about it. I was mostly just curious if anyone new how long hops stay "fresh" in these packages, and if the warm garage would have any major deleterious effects. I have too many pets as it is to get a rabbit though, and I doubt my daughter would let me eat it if I did get one. I'll probably just add then to an IPA with a bunch more Amarillo so it wont matter anyway.

Latest posts

Back