Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
I had some beer brewed up. Recently I moved to a new house (February) and accidentally left my bottled beer outside in a cooler. I'm kind of concerned that the heat may have ruined it. Its not been really hot here but for a few days however this cooler may have heated up a bit more inside.
I don't think it would make me sick? but I figured I would ask for advice just to be sure. Ive never made this idiot mistake before but in the mess of things.. well it happened.

While the heat may have ruined it, it's unlikely that it became anything worse than just bad tasting beer. As teens when stacking hay on a friends farm, we use to leave six packs of beer in the cab of the farm truck and it got hot as heck in there. It still tasted good enough for us.

Maybe just limit yourself to one the first time just in case you get a bad case of the runs. Though I can't see that being a thing if your beer wasn't already infected with some bacteria from poor sanitation procedures. And that would be a thing whether it'd been in the heat or your cool cellar.

I had some beer brewed up. Recently I moved to a new house (February) and accidentally left my bottled beer outside in a cooler. I'm kind of concerned that the heat may have ruined it. Its not been really hot here but for a few days however this cooler may have heated up a bit more inside.
I don't think it would make me sick? but I figured I would ask for advice just to be sure. Ive never made this idiot mistake before but in the mess of things.. well it happened.

How hot's "hot"? Like @day_trippr mentioned, no telling what abuse commercial beer goes through from bottling to sipping.

I used to work at Coca-Cola in my younger days. I worked the can line and the Coke coming out of the filler room is canned at fridge temps. After the can tops are crimped on, they go through a heater to warm the cans to room temps. This keeps the cardboard containers from failing from the weight due to the moisture of the sweating cans inside. I imagine beer lines are the same way. Then there's the long haul from factory to store, and inventory sitting on the back of the stores waiting to be stocked in the coolers.

In other words, "relax, don't worry...have (your) homebrew." :mug:

Keep in mind that light, not heat, is what destroys beer. I wouldn't hesitate to chill it, drink, and repeat. That's just me though, do what you're comfortable with. Cheers!

Back