Still Bubbling after 30 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinhead

Reaction score
Doing a Mad Hatter clone that's been in the fermenter for about a month now. Dry hopped it about a week and it have a reading of 1.022 after a week its still bubbling at about one every 5 sec. Current reading is 1.20 per Beersmith it should end about 1.012.

Don't want off favors from dry hopping to long and also don't want bottle bombs from bottling while its fermenting.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Adding dry hops will cause some CO2 release. If gravity readings stop moving, it's done.

(Just to get a handle on the situation) You're moderately sized IPA has been in the fermenter for a month and is only at 1.022? It should be significantly lower, by now, especially if you're (i'm assuming) using an ale yeast and are targeting 1.012. Was this 1.022 measured before or after adding the dry hops? Did you take any grav readings before dry hopping?

I would avoid having the dry hops on the beer much longer than a week to avoid off flavors, and avoid bombs by (as the others have suggested) ensuring multiple consistent, consecutive grav readings.

Yes its was at 1.022 when I dry hopped and 1.20 a week later. Used 05 that was rehydrated and it started very slow. Temp has been held at 65 give or take the whole time. Bottling today what ever its at. I did check my hydrometer and its ok

I'd take it up to 75 for a day or two and test again. Sounds Stück to me. If it doesn't restart, consider it a diacetyl rest. I use a heatwrap, 18w. They are pretty cheap on amazon.

Edit: if you must go ahead and bottle (I know that feeling) get a large sterilite or rubbermaid tub with lid and put all the bottles inside in case you get some bottle bombs. Best $12 spent in brewing, now I sleep fine at night.

Is this all grain or extract? I've heard of extract batches sometimes hitting a 1.020 wall... They should go lower but for some reason just stay at 1.020ish...

It might just be where you are gonna stay... Not ideal for an IPA, but it is what it is...

Back