Still alive - just tackling a HUGE DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful home, beautiful wife, you are a blessed man! Thanks for the read I do have a question.

How does the drywall attach to the foam?

How does the drywall attach to the foam?

There are plastic spreaders that attach the inner and outer panels of foam. They support the rebar for the pour, and then function as attach point for drywall inside, and siding outside.

Tie.png

What system are you using for your in floor heating? I have been looking at Radiantec with a Polaris water heater... interested in getting other options or opinions

What system are you using for your in floor heating? I have been looking at Radiantec with a Polaris water heater... interested in getting other options or opinions

I am using Warmboard subfloor, with a Triangle Tube condensing boiler. I had looked at the Polaris water heater, but I seem to recall reading some troubling reviews about their reliability. I could be way off base on that one, though.

I assume the wires are running to thermostats in different rooms so it knows when to turn that zone one or off? What system did you choose for that?

Ninja Edit**
Okay... more specifically... with so many systems, so many components, and so many different ways to heat the system... what did you find most useful in making sense of it all? Did you design the system from the ground up or work with a company to give you a bid on the components and then just install em to their spec?

Good to see you haven't taken another 10ft drop. It looks like the interior is going to be as epic as the framing build.

The more I see on this build, the more I'm convinced that Jester is some sort of super-human experiment. Mad building and designing skills, stamina to take on such a project basically single-handedly, and Red.

I assume the wires are running to thermostats in different rooms so it knows when to turn that zone one or off? What system did you choose for that?

Ninja Edit**
Okay... more specifically... with so many systems, so many components, and so many different ways to heat the system... what did you find most useful in making sense of it all? Did you design the system from the ground up or work with a company to give you a bid on the components and then just install em to their spec?

I pretty much spec'd the system myself after a ton of Google research. I selected the major components, but the plumber I bought the boiler from gave me a few hours at his office with me, helping me design all the copper work. It was pretty nice of him considering he didn't charge me for the time.

Did you have to add any additional heat shielding to the wall where the fireplace resides?

No - there is a required air gap from any combustible materials but no additional shielding. I was a little skeptical, so I did build a couple of really roaring fires before I closed it all in to see just how hot the exterior got, and was pleased to find that it never got more than a little warm.

Very nice...roofing is one job that is a real pain in the ass when you're by yourself since you have to cover so much area. Even having someone to just fetch and line up shingles is a huge help. Were you able to at least have the shingles delivered on to the roof? When I did ours we had to carry them all up staging. What a pain.

Were you able to at least have the shingles delivered on to the roof?

I had rented a bucket lift to put up the facia boards, so I just hauled them all up with that before I returned the rental. It would have completely sucked bringing all those up - I forget how many squares it was, but it's a big roof.

what, no solar panels??? haha

Wrong orientation of the roof, unfortunately. I did look in to it.

Back