Step temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontiercdk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I use a direct fire recirculating mash setup. When stepping to the next temp how high should I set the temp on the my recirculation to get to the next temp.

If I am adjusting to 156 should I set the temp of the recirculation to like 175 to reach the desired temp quickly. It seems like if I don't set it above the desired temp it takes longer than the recommended 10 minute step time.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you say 'direct fire recirculating' do you mean you directly heat the mash tun and recirculate it? Or you have a gas HERMS, or somethign else?

I'd always say set to target temp... maybe recirculate faster? 10 minute steps are not a 'rule'.

Yes I heat the mash tun with a burner and recirculate. Thanks for taking the time to give me some input.

Overshooting your desired temp is the issue here. If you want to get to 156* and set the temp too high, you might hit 160+ even if you cut the heat at 156*. I would prefer to get there gradually (within reason) rather than go too far over. Since you recirculate, the temp should be pretty even, but it will take a few brews to dial it it in.

Try a test brew and see how it goes with setting the temp high and cutting the heat, you might need to cut heat at 2 or 3* below desired temp. You'll still make beer and you get to drink the experiments!

Does this direct-fired recirculating system use a higher burner/element setting with a higher set temperature?
Or does it heat at a constant output, just longer?

Cheers!

What I have experimented with was setting the temp higher until it gets close then setting it back down to the desired temp. This seems to work flawlessly and dosent over shoot temp. I just worry about changing the mash profile or stopping enzymatic processes.

The temp is controlled by cutting the burner on and off. If I am looking for a higher temp i set the pid to that temp. If it struggles to hit the temp I turn up the heat a little on the burner. The pid gets its temp reading from the recirculating wort as it leaves the tun.

I added more rice hulls and increased my recirculation with the unit set at the target temp. It took just over 11 minutes to hit temp. Problem fixed.

Thanks for the input

I use direct fire recirculate also. For steps I always plan on 1 minute per degree F to reach new temperature. I flow between 1-2 GPM during mash and set controller to target temperature. Seems to work fine with a relatively modest flame. I'd prefer a longer ramp over risk of scorching the mash.

Back