Steeping v.s. PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srceenplay

Reaction score
I've been reading some pm threads. (their is one big one). Not sure if I'm understanding the difference. Both have grains sitting in hot water. What am I missing?

Primary difference: with extract + steeping, you're extracting color, flavor, and some body from the steeped grains. With partial mash, you are converting starches to sugars in your grains, replacing the need for some of that extract.

There's a lot more to it, but that's the most basic difference. I am sure a flurry of links and informative posts will be coming soon.

Borden's right but to add to it, usually in a partial mash your geting some fermentable sugars from the mash because of the presence of base grains such as 2 row or Marris Otter, your steeping grains for extract batches usually consist of specialty grains such like cara pils or crystal 120 for example.

Basically what he said ^^ . To do a Partial Mash, you need to include some base malt such as 2-row, in order to provide enzymes for converting starches to sugars. The enzymes are active between about 145* and 160*; normally we try to hold the temperature a little tighter than that, say 150 to 155. If you are just steeping, almost any temp below 170 is fine.

It's a series of baby steps from all-extract to all-grain brewing. First steeping some grains; then doing a mini-mash in a bag, then next thing you know you'll be converting a cooler to a mash tun. Cheers!

Steeping is not very concerned with water temp. You're just leaching sugars or flavors from the grain.

PM is actually mashing crushed grain at the proper temp (usually around 154F) to allow the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars.

Practically speaking, there isn't much difference in the process other than keeping the temp correct for a certain amount of time.

Additionally, the difference between partial mash and Brew-In-A-Bag All Grain is the amount of grain/water, and the lack of extract. Small batch BIAB is essentially PM with no extract...

Here are the names of three great videos by Bobby M. I don't know how to add videos but if you go to You Tube and look these up I think you will get a lot of information. I know you are not doing all grain yet but don't let the title scare you away. He talks about all grain brewing but gives a very good explanation of steeping vs. mashing.

EP1 Intro Brewing All Grain Primer Series
EP2 Grains and mashing All Grain Primer Series
EP3 Mashing Mechanics All Grain Primer Series

Partial Mash or mashing is just steeping for a certain duration with a controlled temperature with base and/or specialty grains.

i.e. a single infusion mash is "steeping" or "mashing" all the grains (base and or specialty) for a brew in water at say... 154F for 60 minutes. The controlled temperature you pick favors enzymatic reactions that convert starch to sugar. Mashing at lower temps creates more fermentable sugars and higher temps creates more unfermentable sugars; within a set range ~146-160F.

The term "steeping" however is usually reserved for extract brewing when using specialty grains only for color and flavor and not sugar. therefore the temperature isn't as critical as it would be in a mash.

But, to answer your question directly (since I just recently got it straight in my head) the difference is what goes on inside the water at a molecular level. The processes *can* both be done with the same equipment

If thats all it's is, AG and PM seems pretty simple and straight forward for something that comes out as something that needs a sculpture.

If thats all it's is, AG and PM seems pretty simple and straight forward for something that comes out as something that needs a sculpture.

AG is is VERY simple in process. People get intimidated by AG and I was too until I tried the BIAB and was like... that's it?

When people explain the differences, they always try to get scientific about it. That part is true, and interesting; but IMO it is better to explain something simply, then go into detail or people get scared off.

If you do partial mash, you are doing a single infusion mash. The difference is that you aren't using the full amount of grain to get to your OG. That's it...

i.e. if you do a PM, stop screwing around and go for a full mash - you won't regret it. The process and time is no different. Though you will save a bundle by not having to buy DME and LME.

its not that anyone NEEDS it. its just that its awsome. all you really NEED for AG is a big enough pot and a big strainer bag.

its not that anyone NEEDS it. its just that its awsome. all you really NEED for AG is a big enough pot and a big strainer bag.

+1

AG can be done cheaply with one big pot - check out BIAB. I would probably do BIAB today if my buddy hadn't gotten hooked with me and decided to go in on a shared system.

But since this is a hobby many of us, myself included, are in search of a ridiculous brew system and sculpture that allows us more control and the ability to sample home brew while we brew it (give the brew a little less attention and get repeatability).

From BIAB, now I am building a 1 tier stand and have two eKettles, a direct fire blichmann tun and roll out 11g batches. Perlick SS taps, kegging system and the works. Needed? .... nope... fun as h3ll? Yup.

Yep, it's easier than you think and partial mash is a nice way to get into it. Actually, the real difference between partial mash and steeping is you need to be more exact about your temperature and have some 2 row in there to help with conversion. It's pretty easy when you get your head around it.

Latest posts

Back