steeping grains- temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I see some extract recipes suggest that I steep grains when the temperature of the steeping water reaches 160 with the expectation that the addition of the bag of grains will drop the temperature by about 10 degrees. I see other recipes that suggest I add the bag of grains to water and then heat the water until the temperature reaches 160 and then remove the bag. Clearly these are two very different approaches. Is one better than the other? Is one method designed more for sparging and the other for steeping? Are they in fact really no different?
Thanks

Steep at no more than 165F. I sparge at 170F,regardless of steeping or mashing.
Mash temps & water amounts are more critical,not to be confused with steeping,which is a bit more forgiving.

I've always steeped grains in a separate large pot (1-2 galllons). It allows me to sparge (rinse) the grains once or twice and eek out some more flavor and color. The steeped and sparged liquors are collected in the boil kettle.

Steep at 156° generally. If you use very dark (roasted) grains, steeping a little lower but longer, prevents excessive bitterness and astringency. It takes time to steep all the goodness from the grains, so 20' is a good average at 156°F. Some gentle agitation helps to ensure the grains in the middle of the bag get wet enough.
For good steeping the grains should be crushed fairly fine. Ask them to run it through twice.

Learn the difference between steeping and mashing. You may want to try partial mashes.

and your answers all make good sense but they don't in fact address my specific question which is that some recipes (published on line from kits) suggest that the specialty grains are added to cool water and the temperature of the water raised to the 160 degrees which means for much of the time the temperature is well below 150 and only at 150 (and above for a few minutes) whereas the second technique means that for at least 20 or 30 minutes the grains are steeping in a bucket of water at 150 degrees. (I think, for example, Northern Brewer publishes the recipes of its kits and they suggest the first method).

I'm not sure what the difference is between doing the cold-to-hot steep verses an all hot steep. I do know that some like to cold steep dark grains so that may have something to do with it if the beers that say to do that are darker beers.
When I brewed with steeping grains I just always steeped at 155 degrees and I had no real issues I could detect.

As far as I can tell, the idea of putting the grains in while the water heats to 160 is to save time and make it easier for people. It's probably not optimal, but it more or less does the job. When I used to do it that way, I always had good results.

Lately I use a second pot with about 1.5 gallons in it to steep my grains at 155 or so, while I bring the rest of my water to a boil outside. Generally the timing of it works out really well, with the boil starting a few minutes before I finish steeping.

If you really wanted to see what type of difference you might get, you could always make two identical batches, except one you steep at 150 for 20-30 minutes, and the other as it heats up... but I have a feeling you wouldn't notice much of a difference (though if someone knows better, I'd love to know as well).

I prefer the all hot steep. I think it gets more out of the grains. Unless you're doing dark bears,where you might want less astringency to age out.

On some beer recipes which approach you take can make a difference. If you add grains when the water is cold as you bring up the temperature different reactions take place, some enzyme reactions take place at different temperatures from 125 thru 160 degrees. As you get to more complicated brews it will be an issue. Otherwise it does not really matter. Not to be over complicated, but you could also look into cold steeping when using dark heavily roasted grains. These grains don't require heating to convert the starches to sugar, the roasting process has already done that.(this is the whole point behind boiling) If you are into dark beers this does make a difference and you avoid some of the off flavors that can appear.

Back