Steam Beer yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking4

Reaction score
I have read that brewing steam beer involves pitching lager yeast and fermenting at ale temps. Can this be done using any/all lager yeast strains? Say I wanted to brew a "Steamtoberfest", or a Dos Equis clone following this regimen, can this be done and still have a decent end result? Anyone have experience in this? Thanks.

Yes. I have a Mocktoberfest on tap that I fermented with Wlp810 around 50 degrees. This was after making first a decent steam beer followed by the best pseudo-pils I've ever made. I'm really liking this yeast.

Yes. I have a Mocktoberfest on tap that I fermented with Wlp810 around 50 degrees. This was after making first a decent steam beer followed by the best pseudo-pils I've ever made. I'm really liking this yeast.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt 50* lager temp range? I wanted to know if I could ferment lager strains in the 60*-70* range and still have a drinkable beverage.

Well the max temp for the yeast is listed as 65 degrees, which produces a great steam beer. But I've never taken it above that. I fermented my pseudo pilsner at 60 and it was better than 2565 and us05 in my opinion.

Edit: for what it's worth I think it is considered a lager yeast that can just ferment a little higher than other lager strains with less esters...or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt 50* lager temp range? I wanted to know if I could ferment lager strains in the 60*-70* range and still have a drinkable beverage.

yes 50* is lagering

from the BYO site about Anchor Steam:
The few times I have looked into the fermentation room, the ambient temperature was in the range of 64 to 67 °F (18 to 19 °C). You might experiment with open fermentation as well, but when using a homebrew-sized closed fermenter, I find a fermentation temperature of 62 to 64°F (17 to 18°C) gives the best result. Follow that up with a month of cold conditioning and carbonation approaching three volumes and it will help you come a little closer to matching that wonderful Anchor classic.

cry havoc is supposed to go both ways lol. Kind of a middle man I suppose. Although I have read a lot about Notty being able to make some pretty good pseudo lagers.

Back