STC1000 Wires, will these work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
So, I've got my STC1000, and my Freezer ready to go. I realized I don't have any wires.

Being the horder that I am, I dug around in some boxes, and found these computer wires. One of them is the 3 prong cable and the other cable is only 2. Would these work just fine when wiring up my STC1000?

http://imgur.com/a/PRLWl

Yep, that'll work fine. I used the same thing on my chest freezer > ferm chamber conversion.

One problem with computer power cords is the actual wire size. I have seen cords made with anything from 14 ga. to 18 ga. wire inside. Computer manufacturers use a power supply that is sufficient for their computer, leading to a power cord that is JUST big enough for that particular power supply.

I can't see the picture for some reason, link seems dead. [EDIT] They did come through eventually, but very slowly.

The power cable could be undersized as mentioned before. The STC-1000 can switch a max of 10A. As long as the wire is rated for the load you put on it, you should be fine. See if there is a gauge indication on the cable, or measure it. The 2nd cable is for low-powered, double-insulated electronic devices, like a DVD player, razor etc. and carries NO ground. Do not use that.

The wires on the computer side of a PC power supply are meant for low voltage and use inside a box providing mechanical protection. Yes, they can carry 110 volt, even 500V, but the insulation shield is quite thin. Not safe for "external wiring" of appliances. One nick...

Back