STC-1000 wire gauge and multiple outlets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am planning on wiring up a STC-1000 mostly to run thermwraps, but possibly use it to control a freezer for fermentation (right now I have a Johnson to do it).

First question:
After reading about 100 threads I am still a little worried on what size of wire to use. Can I use 14 gauge wire since it will be plugging into a 15A outlet and the freezer runs at 4A. (I know the compressor starting uses more, but it wouldn't be more than 15A right? or that would blow the fuse or circuit)

It will also be plugged into a GFCI outlet if it runs the freezer.

I have seen some people on here say you need 12 gauge wire for this, but doesn't the STC-1000 only handle 10A max anyways?

So am I fine with 14 gauge wire?

Second question:
I think I was looking at a post by Revvy and he had multiple outlets wired up to a single STC-1000. So can I just pigtail a few outlets (so there are maybe 4-6 female plugs) off of one controller to run multiple fermwraps if I want all the beers to be heated to the same temp?

Thank you for all the help and input

Can I use 14 gauge wire since it will be plugging into a 15A outlet

So am I fine with 14 gauge wire?

Yes, that will be fine.

Second question:
I think I was looking at a post by Revvy and he had multiple outlets wired up to a single STC-1000. So can I just pigtail a few outlets (so there are maybe 4-6 female plugs) off of one controller to run multiple fermwraps if I want all the beers to be heated to the same temp?

Yes again. Each Fermwrap is only 40 watts so you could have a bunch of them plugged in before you get anywhere near the 10 amp rating of the STC-1000. (10 amps at 120 volts is 1200 watts / 40 = up to 30 Fermwraps at once)

For an extra measure of protection, you could put a 10 amp fuse or circuit breaker in line with the power coming in.

A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protects the user from electric shock in the case of an exposed part being energized. It doesn't provide any over current protection.

A 10 amp rated fuse or circuit breaker would prevent an over current fault from burning the insides of the STC-1000. One way this could happen is if the freezer compressor locked up and it's own protector failed to cut it's power.

Is it absolutely necessary, probably not. Lots of STC-1000 builds don't have it and we've seen very few reports around here of an overload failure (but not none). The risk would be that in the unusual circumstance of something failing such that the load is greater than the 10 amp rating of the STC-1000 but still less than the 15 amp protection on the supply circuit, then you could have a fire in the STC-1000.

They serve different purposes. A fuse protects against total current. A GFCI protects against a current imbalance. So if you are concerned that you will pull more current than what stc 1000 can handle you should put a fuse in line.

For what it is worth I wired my stc 1000s with 14 gauge wire and plug but without a fuse. Used to control chest freezer and multiple brew belts without any issues.

Another recommendation, use stranded wire rather than solid for the connections. Much easier to bend IME.

Made this mistake in my STC-1000 build, and was driven near insane trying to get the wires to play nicely in my enclosure.

Another recommendation, use stranded wire rather than solid for the connections. Much easier to bend IME.

Made this mistake in my STC-1000 build, and was driven near insane trying to get the wires to play nicely in my enclosure.
Most importantly, IMHO, the terminals on the STC1000 will maintain a much better electrical connection on stranded wire than on solid.

The terminals are simply too small and fragile to allow the builder to apply enough torque for good connectivity on solid wire. Solid wire can eventually loosen and heat will build at the terminal.

If you are nervous in getting all the right stuff I have Nice diy kit with everything you need to put it together in the sponsor showcase section, on sale this week

Greg

Latest posts

Back