STC-1000+ Ale temp profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why start the profile at 60°F? That's well below the comfort zone for US-05 - you're not actually pitching at that temperature?
As well, many folks find US-05 goes peachy at 64°F.

fwiw, I pitch and run US-05 at 67°F straight out for a week, then dry hop at 68°F for another five days then crash to 34°F for four days before kegging...

Cheers!

That's good to know. I noticed my last smash batch had a slight peachy flavor, most of which conditioned out after a week or so. This was with water bath temp control trying my best to keep it around 65.

I read a post somewhere with they described pitching at 60 and allowing the yeast and wort to warm up to ferm temp together, so I was trying to replicate that process.

If you're saying a flat 67 should keep the peach away then I'll stick with that when using US-05. thx!

I have never had a problem pitching US-05 at 61 or 62.

I pitched at that temp during the winter and temp actually dropped down to 58 due to extreme winter temps outside.

It kept working and i was able to crank the temp up to 72 a week later to help finish it off by moving it upstairs near a heat vent later that week.

I know it's not ideal, but for folks without fermentation temp control, I've seen this strain do just fine with a low pitch temp. If you can't pitch at 68 or 70 and drop the temp down after that, I'd much rather just pitch low and raise it up later. That's much better than the alternative of pitching at 68 and risking active fermentation raising the temps up to 76 degrees

Latest posts

Back