Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another idea....a meeting about off flavors. Maybe see if we can get one of those flavoring spike kits. I know I could use some help training my palate.

Was my $35 enough? I don't want to stiff anyone. Although, I'm guessing that if you stayed until almost 1am you probably couldn't figure out my measly bill from 730 anyway!

BTW, you guys left that waitress a nice, 30% tip lol.

and I don't know what's worst, being Dyhydrated, or the fact that I ate McDonalds at 1 in the morning. Cause my stomach is killing me lol.

We didn't really stay that late - I think Robert dropped me off at around 10:30. Sean did drop everyone else off though so that may have taken some extra time.

I dropped Joe and Scott off, and Scott invited me and Phil inside to try some of his homebrew. So we tried some of the chocolate stout, and he took some of the time to tell us his ideas for his basement renovations and what not. He's a really cool guy.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time sorry to miss it I will try to catch up next time.

Yeah bubba. If yesterday was a small glimpse of what's to come, there will definitely be many opportunities to catch up and join in.

Guys I really had a good time last night really nice to meet you guys in person. I really think we got the right group of guys together to start a club and really make it great. Their was so many great ideas now we all need to start the fine tuning on the ideas we have a try to get a club mission statement. And a little break down on what we want to see at a club meeting

Sonny, Sean Are you guys going to post the notes and information we went over last night. So the guys that were not able to be there can be up to date of what we talked about. Plus i know everyone had a couple drinks a might of messed some of the stuff we went over. With everything we did go over now we can start setting things up and get this ball rolling.

I am going to post a thorough breakdown of what we discussed, and what we went over.

Priority for me right now is getting these forums up and running correctly.

Feel free to play around with the members forums, as I continue to adjust the permissions on the public forums.

Members can only view the forums after they've logged in. As of right now, everyone who has registered has become a group member.

Sean: The description for the Homebrew Equipment Forum has Discuss missing an i

Also, are PM's going to be enabled?

lol. These boards had a masked group that had predetermined settings that I couldn't alter. "Newly Registered Group." However, I found the condition that promoted Newly Registered to regular registered (3 posts), and set it to 0. So I think that should have solved it for new registers.

However, a few people were still in the group because they hadn't met the old condition. So they're removed now.

PMing should work. Let me know if you've encountered other problems. I'm also almost always available via AIM (goodgoditzsean, yes I know...horrible Screen Name, but I was 14 at the time) if you want to try and IM me for anything.

Shocked to find a staten island thread. Just quickly glanced through all the posts. Would love to get together and be able to share ideas. unfortunately my schedule varies widely.
Few things about me= name is Mike H. 39 years old. Married (lucky- wife loves this hobby). Native islander. Never seen a tanning bed. Haven't used gel or mousse in 20+ years. Brewing since 2007 after 15 year break (college years and bad beers). live near south shore YMCA in eltingville. And,yes, Holiday Beverage has nice selection. Refuse to drink BMC or the like anymore. I have become a beer primma donna.

Equipment= All-grain set up, 5+ gallons. Bottle, don't keg (not yet). 7.2 cu ft chest freezer with thermostat for lagering.

I just restocked on hops, bought about 5+ lbs. still have good amount from 2010 & 2009 harvest (vacuum sealed and frozen) so still good quality. Wide array from American hops to English to noble.

Have over 60 batches under my belt. Haven't met a style I didn't like. Dark, light. Bitter, balanced, malty or sweet. High or low ABV. Belgian, German, English, or American. IPA, APA, EPA, ESB, cream, blond, brown, Czech & German Pilsners, hefe's (American and German), stout (oatmeal, sweet/milk, RIS), porters, steam, Oktoberfest, Vienna Lager, munich helles, maibock, Dopple bock, Saison, Dubbel, dark Belgian strong, witte, and probably a few other styles I'm forgetting. Only had 2, maybe 3 "off" batches. Otherwise I loved every batch I made (I know, sorta like how everyone's own child is the cutest and smartest).

Currently on hand- Chocolate Coffee Breakfast Stout (half was Oaked), Wheat Porter
Imperial IPA , Chimay Blue clone, Oktoberfest, Saison, ESB, Brown
Dopple Bock

Fermenting- Irish red, Cream ale

On Schedule- Czech pils, APA

Feel like I just typed a profile on a dating service. Hopefully I can be able to meet you guys and discuss home brewing (or just drinking). Any ingredients, equipment anyone may need, shoot me a text. I'd be happy to oblige if possible.

mhot55 said:
Shocked to find a staten island thread. Just quickly glanced through all the posts. Would love to get together and be able to share ideas. unfortunately my schedule varies widely.
Few things about me= name is Mike H. 39 years old. Married (lucky- wife loves this hobby). Native islander. Never seen a tanning bed. Haven't used gel or mousse in 20+ years. Brewing since 2007 after 15 year break (college years and bad beers). live near south shore YMCA in eltingville. And,yes, Holiday Beverage has nice selection. Refuse to drink BMC or the like anymore. I have become a beer primma donna.

Equipment= All-grain set up, 5+ gallons. Bottle, don't keg (not yet). 7.2 cu ft chest freezer with thermostat for lagering.

I just restocked on hops, bought about 5+ lbs. still have good amount from 2010 & 2009 harvest (vacuum sealed and frozen) so still good quality. Wide array from American hops to English to noble.

Have over 60 batches under my belt. Haven't met a style I didn't like. Dark, light. Bitter, balanced, malty or sweet. High or low ABV. Belgian, German, English, or American. IPA, APA, EPA, ESB, cream, blond, brown, Czech & German Pilsners, hefe's (American and German), stout (oatmeal, sweet/milk, RIS), porters, steam, Oktoberfest, Vienna Lager, munich helles, maibock, Dopple bock, Saison, Dubbel, dark Belgian strong, witte, and probably a few other styles I'm forgetting. Only had 2, maybe 3 "off" batches. Otherwise I loved every batch I made (I know, sorta like how everyone's own child is the cutest and smartest).

Currently on hand- Chocolate Coffee Breakfast Stout (half was Oaked), Wheat Porter
Imperial IPA , Chimay Blue clone, Oktoberfest, Saison, ESB, Brown
Dopple Bock

Fermenting- Irish red, Cream ale

On Schedule- Czech pils, APA

Feel like I just typed a profile on a dating service. Hopefully I can be able to meet you guys and discuss home brewing (or just drinking). Any ingredients, equipment anyone may need, shoot me a text. I'd be happy to oblige if possible.

PS- airborne guy- we may share same occupation. I may have to "take lost time" to make a meeting.

wow, another Staten Islander. I live in Great kills, and a couple of other guys live near here. We just started a home brew club, so we're working out all the details. I'm having a brew day sunday, so a couple of guys will be over if you wanna come down and meet people, and see how I make beer with so many off flavors.

Back