Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome MikeH (so as not to confuse you with the other Mike) - run while you still can - these guys are a crazy bunch!

Bought 20 plate chiller from keg cowboy. Used it for first time this past week after I upgraded my 10 gallon brewpot with a spigot and filter screen. Took wort from boiling to 76 in 10 minutes. And without wasting as much water than an IC. With a little tweaking I can probably get it to get down to under 70 in the same time which would be ideal. the grub stayed on the bottom of the pot and the screen filtered any particles, so the plate chiller pretty much didn't have any gunk in it. Easy clean.

Anybody that wants those 2L growlers, lemme know. I double ordered, so I have 12. And nobody EVER order gypsum. I have a pound

I don't have time to respond to this personal attack right now. I'm at the gym pumping up for the next season of Jersey shore. My new steroids are working wonders on my physique. I did have a minor setback recently, when my head and balls caught fire in the tanning bed from all the gel. Its ok, minor scarring and the hair will grow back. Now if you'll excuse me, my percaset connection just showed up,so peace out, yo.

So my 3gal Better Bottle (and all the fixings) arrived today - Mike, you'll have yours back pretty soon when I move this one to secondary - thanks again!

Sean, You think the club forum is all set up and good to go i ask because I would like to post a link to the forum in my SIG on this forum

Yeah, the forums are good to share with others. It might change a bit, but nothing that's requires the forums to be private.

I was thinking about buying a Stainless Steel Immersion Chiller, cutting the pipes, and using the remaining tubing as a HERMS coil. nybrewsupply.com has them almost 30 dollars cheaper than what I've found online.

EDIT: Nevermind lol. Not 1/2in.

Try it, but they will probably delete it from your signature once they realize it's a forum. A better idea would be to link the website, then have a link to the forum off of the main page.

I was thinking about buying a Stainless Steel Immersion Chiller, cutting the pipes, and using the remaining tubing as a HERMS coil. nybrewsupply.com has them almost 30 dollars cheaper than what I've found online.

EDIT: Nevermind lol. Not 1/2in.

So I'll be looking in to an immersion chiller very soon - what is the difference in the size? Guessing the amount of time it can cool the wort? Is 3/8 that bad?

I had a 3/8 and it worked fine for 5 gallons. Usually took about 15 minutes. Now my 1/2 inch takes about the same amount of time for 10 gallons. I'm gonna use a leftover piece of 3/8 to make a pre chiller to cut that time down a bit.

Well for an immersion chiller, 3/8ths will work good for 5 gallon batches.

I was going to cut it up and use it for something else. But the coil I need has to be 1/2", as seen in this picture.

CIMG2820.JPG

A CF or plate chiller may be my next buy. My IC from Brooklyn Homebrew just isn't cutting it and I am getting sick of carrying water to the washer machine.

CF chillers are pretty awesome, but the set up can be inconvenient. You need tubing long enough to go from your water source, to the chiller. And obviously one from the chiller to a sink or drain. Otherwise, they're extremely effective.

For my next purchase I am considering a pH meter and/or a refractometer.

PS, anyone interested in the conical I was talking about last week? I think it's time for it to go. Unless I radically change my setup, I'm probably never going to use it. I paid $80 and had to buy all the fixtures which came out to like $30 more, so I'll take the original $80 for it.

When my chiller water exits the chiller, it runs right down the driveway, making a quick stop in my mlt for cleaning. If I brew indoors, it goes out the window and down the driveway. If I had a cfc, the same thing woould happen.

For my next purchase I am considering a pH meter and/or a refractometer.

PS, anyone interested in the conical I was talking about last week? I think it's time for it to go. Unless I radically change my setup, I'm probably never going to use it. I paid $80 and had to buy all the fixtures which came out to like $30 more, so I'll take the original $80 for it.

How much does it hold again?

try to sell it on classifieds. definitely more eyes on that section of the forums. plus you'll be able to get most of your money back.

This thread did so well finding SI Homebrewers. Makes me wonder whether or not we can find more by keeping it active.

I thought the same thing, but it's tought since we have our own forum now. I'm on HBT literally all day, but anytime I have something to say to you guys, I go to our forum.

If any of those kegs are still available from either of you I'd take one - wouldn't mind playing around with kegging

FYI, I'm doing a test cut soon with my welder buddy to see if 5gal cornies can be turned into 3 gallons. As a matter of fact, I think I'm only going to get rid of two right now just in case this works out.

I'm not greedy. I could use 2. Definitely want to start kegging. However at that price and no need for shipping I won't pass up 4. U let me know when & where PS-Just returned today from Blast-Stat, airborne, so I could use a few beers

Yes, MHot, come by Saturday's meeting if you can.

Additionally, we plan to make May all about Kegging. So it should work out good for most of the people who keg in the group.

Back