Starting Second Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubs731

Reaction score
Ok so tonight I'd like to start my second batch. I learned a lot from my first batch, which will be dumped down the drain. This time I plan on using ale yeast, S04 if I have read right. I was going to pick up 5 gallons of Musselman's Spiced Cider at Walmart and try that. How does this plan sound? Should I try another kind of store bought cider or juice? How much head space should I allow in my primary? Also, any other additives I should add...sugar...what kind? Any kind of criticism is appreciated.

Use just Apple juice. No spices or flavors. No preservatives. I use frozen Apple juice concentrate if the farm isn't pressing fresh cider. No sugar unless the S.G. is very low. I add acid blend, pectin enzyme and tannin but you don't have too. Any headspace is ok for the primary as long as fermentation starts.

I got 5 gallons of the Musselman's regular cider and accidentally got a gallon of the spiced cider. I didn't think it was worth going back to the store so fingers crossed. My SG was 1.044 and added S04 Ale Yeast. I'm pretty excited about this batch. So now just let ferment out and watch for little or no activity to rack...correct?

That is how it works. You can also throw a hydrometer in to measure your FG. when it is stable for 3 days you should be good.

I got 5 gallons of the Musselman's regular cider and accidentally got a gallon of the spiced cider. I didn't think it was worth going back to the store so fingers crossed. My SG was 1.044 and added S04 Ale Yeast. I'm pretty excited about this batch. So now just let ferment out and watch for little or no activity to rack...correct?

I might have kept back the gallon of spiced cider, fermented the 4 gallons of regular, then used the gallon of spiced cider as your priming sugar and sweetening method. While you managed headspace appropriately and all. The taste might have been pretty good.

As for when, bubbles are only one method. If you dont like the cider dry or bone-dry, measure the SG every so often once the activity is noticeably slower. For comparison, 1.005 is roughly 2 ounces of sugar per gallon as measured at 68 *F, and 1.010 is double that.*

*This is measured in pre-fermentation liquid, so take values with a grain of salt, info taken from here: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

I just started a batch with 4 gal. Musselmans and 1 gal. Ocean Spray Cran. No added sugar but I added some chopped up craisins. S.G. 1.055. Using Brewers Best Cider House Select Yeast again.

I just started a batch with 4 gal. Musselmans and 1 gal. Ocean Spray Cran. No added sugar but I added some chopped up craisins. S.G. 1.055. Using Brewers Best Cider House Select Yeast again.

Let me know how it goes. I'm waiting for mine to start bubbling. It should begin within 24 hrs., correct?

Let me know how it goes. I should be seeing some action in the airlock soon, correct? I haven't seen anything yet.

Let me know how it goes. I should be seeing some action in the airlock soon, correct? I haven't seen anything yet.

Lack of bubbles in the airlock doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening. Since there almost no solids in apple juice, it won't look like fermenting ale. Here's an idea, give the bottle a good shaking, and see if there are any bubbles made.

Back