Starting a new batch of cider with the old primary leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I was watching some guys using the old moonshine mash to make new stuff and just adding sugar and water to there old mash. Can i add more juice and sugar into my left over primary sediment of hard cider to reuse some left over liqour and start a quick batch and if so can i do this more then once???? And would i have to pitch more yeast or can i just throw in yeast nurtrients? And can i just add or would i have to sterilize the inside of the carboy?

I've added new apple juice to the fermenter after racking a finished batch. You really should do it right away, though. There's lots of yeast sitting on the bottom, so it should take off quickly. Keep everything clean and it should be fine. I think I did three batches this way before figuring it might be time for some new yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've added new apple juice to the fermenter after racking a finished batch. You really should do it right away, though. There's lots of yeast sitting on the bottom, so it should take off quickly. Keep everything clean and it should be fine. I think I did three batches this way before figuring it might be time for some new yeast.

Thank you got the reply, It will be done as soon as i sypon it into the bottling pale. It seemed like a waste to toss out my yeast extra cider and time spent sanitizing my container, The air lock will be recleaned and sanitized of course as I allow my new mix to get 10 miniuts of air. The juice will only cost me 8$ for I figured why not try? and im sure the stuff at the bottom will make it taste abit better since it was in there from the first batch and this way i can leave abit more in the primary to avoid sucking up yeast.

Thank you got the reply, It will be done as soon as i sypon it into the bottling pale. It seemed like a waste to toss out my yeast extra cider and time spent sanitizing my container, The air lock will be recleaned and sanitized of course as I allow my new mix to get 10 miniuts of air. The juice will only cost me 8$ for I figured why not try? and im sure the stuff at the bottom will make it taste abit better since it was in there from the first batch and this way i can leave abit more in the primary to avoid sucking up yeast.

Back