Starter yeast comes out very gloppy - Wyeast 168 ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Condor

Reaction score
* Edit: that's Wyeast 1968, not 168
Hola amigos,

I made a starter using Wyeast 1968 ESB, and the slurry came tumbling out of the flask in big, messy glops that partially flopped off the lip of the carboy - it was almost chunky, not like starters I'd done before. My question for you is whether you think something might have gone wrong with the yeast.

I'm still relatively new to starters (this is only my third), but my previous two had nicely suspended yeast that were not clumped and poured easily into the fermenters. I had not cold crashed before and wanted to try it this time so that I could decant off the 1.1 liter starter, so I set it in the fridge for 24 hours. I took it out the morning of brew day, and it had about 5 hours to come to room temp. I did shake and swirl to suspend as before. Even as it was sitting on the stir plate, however, this yeast was looking like curds being swirled around in the wort rather than a smooth cream being mixed. The only other variable that had changed this time (aside for the cold-crashing) was that I forgot to put the yeast nutrient in before the boil, and only added it in after I cooled the wort but before pitching the yeast. The yeast manufacture date was December 14, 2014.

Right now, a day after pitching, the wort appears to be actively fermenting, but I'm still worried. Should I be? Gracias for any thoughts you might have!

you're all good man, some yeast gets really clumpy as it flocs out. 1272 is another one that gets chunky like cottage cheese, first time i used it i thought something was wrong as well

I used 1968 about 5 or 6 batches back, and it was very gloppy. Way more than other yeasts I've used.

Back